Sync a software installation point to workstations

Harrison Midkiff

Hello:

I have a folder I use for my software installation point. I continually
have to access this folder to add/remove software. About 80% of my
workstations are laptops. I want to create a GPO which will sync up a
folder onto the root of these machines.

Does anyone of a way to do this?

Harrison Midkiff

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Harrison,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on your requirement, you can use group policies to assign or publish
software to users or computers in a domain, and it is useful to be able to
deploy software based on group membership. Group Policy Objects (GPOs) are
normally applied only to members of organizational units (OUs)to which the
GPO is linked. I'd like to provide you with the following information for
your reference:

302430: How to assign software to a specific group by using a Group Policy
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302430

Step-by-Step Guide to Software Installation and Maintenance
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/instmain
..mspx>

Hope that helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Harrison Midkiff" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Sync a software installation point to workstations
| Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 11:42:18 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
|
| Hello:
|
| I have a folder I use for my software installation point. I continually
| have to access this folder to add/remove software. About 80% of my
| workstations are laptops. I want to create a GPO which will sync up a
| folder onto the root of these machines.
|
| Does anyone of a way to do this?
|
| Harrison Midkiff

Harrison Midkiff

Ken:

Thanks for your reply!

I do use GPO's for deploying a number of applications and this works great!
The folder I want to sync has a series of apps and tools I use for
troubleshooting. Sometimes I need to uninstall the VPN client or AV client
and then reinstall it to correct a problem. Most of the time when this
happens the user is in a hotel room or at there home and may not have access
to the network. Thus why I want to synced folder. Also, the folder is only
about 300MB. In this day of 200GB drives I am sure you would agree this is
small potatoes.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for the reply....

Harrison Midkiff

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
[...]

rights.

--------------------
| From: "Harrison Midkiff" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Sync a software installation point to workstations
| Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 11:42:18 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
|
| Hello:
|
| I have a folder I use for my software installation point. I continually
| have to access this folder to add/remove software. About 80% of my
| workstations are laptops. I want to create a GPO which will sync up a
| folder onto the root of these machines.
|
| Does anyone of a way to do this?
|
| Harrison Midkiff

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Harrison,

Thanks for your reply!

Based on your requirement, I'd like to suggest you try to use the Net Use
command for batch files and scripts to map a drive for the software
installation folder. Then you may configure the batch file or script as a
logon script to deploy to all clients. When all clients log on to the
domain, the mapped drive will be displayed in Windows Explorer.

To achieve your goal, I'd like to provide you with the following knowledge
articles for your reference:

308582: How to connect and disconnect a network drive in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308582

198642: Overview of Logon, Logoff, Startup, and Shutdown Scripts in Windows
2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198642

322241: How to assign scripts in Windows 2000

I hope the information helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Harrison Midkiff" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Sync a software installation point to workstations
| Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 13:42:28 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
|
| Ken:
|
| Thanks for your reply!
|
| I do use GPO's for deploying a number of applications and this works
great!
| The folder I want to sync has a series of apps and tools I use for
| troubleshooting. Sometimes I need to uninstall the VPN client or AV
client
| and then reinstall it to correct a problem. Most of the time when this
| happens the user is in a hotel room or at there home and may not have
access
| to the network. Thus why I want to synced folder. Also, the folder is
only
| about 300MB. In this day of 200GB drives I am sure you would agree this
is
| small potatoes.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Thanks again for the reply....
|
| Harrison Midkiff
|
| | > Hello Harrison,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > Based on your requirement, you can use group policies to assign or
publish
| > software to users or computers in a domain, and it is useful to be able
| > deploy software based on group membership. Group Policy Objects (GPOs)
are
| > normally applied only to members of organizational units (OUs)to which
the
| > GPO is linked. I'd like to provide you with the following information
for
| > your reference:
| >
| > 302430: How to assign software to a specific group by using a Group
Policy
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302430
| >
| > Step-by-Step Guide to Software Installation and Maintenance

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/instmain
| > mspx>
| >
| > Hope that helps!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Harrison Midkiff" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Sync a software installation point to workstations
| > | Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 11:42:18 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
| > |
| > | Hello:
| > |
| > | I have a folder I use for my software installation point. I
continually
| > | have to access this folder to add/remove software. About 80% of my
| > | workstations are laptops. I want to create a GPO which will sync up a
| > | folder onto the root of these machines.
| > |
| > | Does anyone of a way to do this?
| > |
| > | Harrison Midkiff
| > |
| > |
| > |

Harrison Midkiff

Thanks for replying to my post.

This is not what I want to do. I want a folder on the root of the computer
to sync to a folder on the network. The concept is the same as sync'ing
your home folder on your laptop before you take it out of town. The goal is
everytime the computer logs into the network they will sync this folder so
when we are supporting these users we can access the tools and program in
the sync'ed folder. I can do this manually with out a problem, but if I can
do it with a GPO it would be better.

Harrison Midkiff

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

are
| > normally applied only to members of organizational units (OUs)to which
the
| > GPO is linked. I'd like to provide you with the following information
for
| > your reference:
| >
| > 302430: How to assign software to a specific group by using a Group
Policy
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302430
| >
| > Step-by-Step Guide to Software Installation and Maintenance

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/instmain
| > mspx>
| >
| > Hope that helps!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Harrison,

Thanks for your reply!

Based on your requirement, I think Offline Files feature that might be
helpful.

Offline Files notifies you if the status of your network connection
changes. When the status of your network connection changes, an Offline
Files icon appears in the status area, and an informational balloon is
displayed over the status area to notify you of the change. If the
informational balloon notifies you that you are offline, you can continue
to work with your files as you normally do, or you can click the Offline
Files icon in the status area for more information about the status of your
connection.

If you are working offline (either because you are disconnected from the
network or because you undocked your portable computer), you can still
browse network drives and shared folders in My Computer or My Network
Places. A red X appears over any disconnected network drives. You will be
able to see only those files that you made available offline and any files
that you created after the network connection was lost.

Your permissions on the network files and folders remain the same whether
you are connected to the network or working offline. For example, a
read-only document on a mapped network drive would remain read-only if you
were disconnected from the network.

When you are disconnected from the network, you can print to local
printers, but you cannot print to shared printers on the network. Instead,
the file is spooled and prints to your local printer when you are
reconnected to the network.

Once you reconnect to the network, Synchronization Manager updates the
network files with changes that you made while working offline.

To set up your computer to use Offline Files
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/csc_make_files_offlin
e.htm>

Synchronize offline items when you log on or off a computer
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/synchmgr_synchronize_
files_logon_off.htm>

Hope that helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Harrison Midkiff" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Sync a software installation point to workstations
| Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:37:47 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
|
| Thanks for replying to my post.
|
| This is not what I want to do. I want a folder on the root of the
computer
| to sync to a folder on the network. The concept is the same as sync'ing
| your home folder on your laptop before you take it out of town. The goal
is
| everytime the computer logs into the network they will sync this folder
so
| when we are supporting these users we can access the tools and program in
| the sync'ed folder. I can do this manually with out a problem, but if I
can
| do it with a GPO it would be better.
|
| Harrison Midkiff
|
| | > Hi Harrison,
| >
| > Thanks for your reply!
| >
| > Based on your requirement, I'd like to suggest you try to use the Net
Use
| > command for batch files and scripts to map a drive for the software
| > installation folder. Then you may configure the batch file or script as
| > logon script to deploy to all clients. When all clients log on to the
| > domain, the mapped drive will be displayed in Windows Explorer.
| >
| > To achieve your goal, I'd like to provide you with the following
knowledge
| > articles for your reference:
| >
| > 308582: How to connect and disconnect a network drive in Windows XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308582
| >
| > 198642: Overview of Logon, Logoff, Startup, and Shutdown Scripts in
| > Windows
| > 2000
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198642
| >
| > 322241: How to assign scripts in Windows 2000
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322241/EN-US/
| >
| > I hope the information helps.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Harrison Midkiff" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Sync a software installation point to workstations
| > | Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 13:42:28 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
| > |
| > | Ken:
| > |
| > | Thanks for your reply!
| > |
| > | I do use GPO's for deploying a number of applications and this works
| > great!
| > | The folder I want to sync has a series of apps and tools I use for
| > | troubleshooting. Sometimes I need to uninstall the VPN client or AV
| > client
| > | and then reinstall it to correct a problem. Most of the time when
this
| > | happens the user is in a hotel room or at there home and may not have
| > access
| > | to the network. Thus why I want to synced folder. Also, the folder
is
| > only
| > | about 300MB. In this day of 200GB drives I am sure you would agree
this
| > is
| > | small potatoes.
| > |