SVChost.exe

M

Marie

My computer is running lousy and when I check the CPU
usage on my processes it indicates that the svchost.exe
process is utilizing 90+ of CPU usage. I have nothing
else open. Can anyone clue me in as to what is happening.

Thanks

G

Gerry Cornell

Marie

I suggest you update your virus definitions and run a full anti-virus scan. Also you download Adaware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove parasites.

Look at processes in Task Manager. It is normal to have a number of Svchost.exe process entries appearing in Task Manager. For the process generating the high usage how is the User described? Next whilst Task Manager is showing high usage change from the Process Tab to the Application Tab. Then select each running Application in turn, right click and select "Go to Process" and see if you can identify the application causing the high usage.

Next select Start, Administrative Tools, Services. Compare the list of services with those shown as Started and for each in turn stop the service and observe the effect. If the CPU usage in Task Manager continues or something stops working restart the service. When you have found the likely cause i.e. the CPU usage stops then post details of what you have found.

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA
(e-mail address removed)
Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

G

i have been having problems with svchost ever since i built this pc (amd 1800+ gigabyte mother board 1Gb 333 DDR) and i have recently found out how to eliminate them. I was getting two cases of svchost that were taking up to 60% and 20% of my cpu which pissed me off a great deal. I found this website at tweaktown
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=324&dPage=1
and ran through the guid and BAM! no more problems. Fallow at your own risk although i had no problems at all. It may take some time to do but i have found it to be well worth it. My benchmarks whent up a little bit but my cpu had gone back to 99% idle, no more svchost problem. I did find one thing in my services that adware and symantic antivirus did not take care of. It was GMT.exe and was some form of spy ware. Good luck

Ask a Question