SVCHOST.EXE LOCAL SERVICE

Jim Rogers

My computer has a 2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, and 120GB Hard Drive.

My main use for the computer is developing software using
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003.

During the day, the response time gradually gets slower
and slower. When I look at the Windows Task Manager's
data, I find that the program "SVCHOST.EXE LOCAL SERVICE"
is using 70-80% of the CPU capacity.

I can Right-Click this program and choose "End Process",
but it immediately starts up again, and over time, its
CPU usage again becomes excessive.

I have searched the XP online and MSDN help without
finding any information about the above program.

Any help or pointers to other help resources will be
greatly appreciated.

Jack J. Iaria

My computer has a 2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, and 120GB Hard Drive.

My main use for the computer is developing software using
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003.

During the day, the response time gradually gets slower
and slower. When I look at the Windows Task Manager's
data, I find that the program "SVCHOST.EXE LOCAL SERVICE"
is using 70-80% of the CPU capacity.

I can Right-Click this program and choose "End Process",
but it immediately starts up again, and over time, its
CPU usage again becomes excessive.

I have searched the XP online and MSDN help without
finding any information about the above program.

Any help or pointers to other help resources will be
greatly appreciated.
.
Dear Jim Rogers RE: SVCHOST.EXE LOCAL SERVICE,
I believe the kids are out of school, getting up
slowly as a group, then the parents get home from work,
and the LOCAL ISP SERVICE SLOWS due to increased traffic
.........Similar to WEEKEND SLOWING !
SOLUTION: Do your Computer Works While Everyone
Sleeping.........faaaster......... !

Jack

Gerry Cornell

Jim

It is normal to have a number of Svchost.exe process entries appearing in Task Manager. For the process generating the high usage how is the User described? Next whilst Task Manager is showing high usage change from the Process Tab to the Application Tab. Then select each running Application in turn, right click and select "Go to Process" and see if you can identify the application causing the high usage and report back.

--
~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA
(e-mail address removed)
Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jim Rogers

Gerry:

Thanks for your suggestions. I am afraid that they are
not much help. The "process generating the high usage"
is "SVCHOST.EXE LOCAL SERVICE", not any of my own running
processes. I am aware that it is normal to have a number
of SVCHOST.EXE processes running, but my question really
is: what sub-processes are running under the group
name "LOCAL SERVICE", and what if anything can I do to
reduce their impact?