<summary> /// Comments not working with assm

  • Thread starter news.bellatlantic.net
  • Start date

N

news.bellatlantic.net

I added these comments "///" (below is an example) to help the developers
use the classes and methods I am adding the library. When I instantiate an
object in the same project I get help from the comments in the IDE. However
if I add the library to another project I don't get the help. How can I make
sure I pass the help around? Do you have any information on how I generate
the XML and/or where I can find it to include it in a distribution? Actually
developers normally will just reference the DLL in their project, I wonder
what the other step would be so they can get the help from the XML file.

/// <summary>
/// Method accepts an SP name and Parameters and returns a DataSet that
includes a table with the provided name.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="sql"></param>
/// <param name="param"></param>
/// <param name="tbName"></param>
/// <returns>A DataSet that includes a table with the provided
name.</returns>
public DataSet GetOracleProcDataSet(string sql, object[,] param, string
tbName)

Thanks in advance for any clues you can give me.


--



Tim Moser
Home: 610.970.4263
Office: 610.296.2920
Cell: 484.300.6030
http://www.timmoser.com
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Arne Janning

news.bellatlantic.net said:
I added these comments "///" (below is an example) to help the developers
use the classes and methods I am adding the library. When I instantiate an
object in the same project I get help from the comments in the IDE.
However
if I add the library to another project I don't get the help. How can I
make
sure I pass the help around? Do you have any information on how I generate
the XML and/or where I can find it to include it in a distribution?
Actually
developers normally will just reference the DLL in their project, I wonder
what the other step would be so they can get the help from the XML file.

/// <summary>
/// Method accepts an SP name and Parameters and returns a DataSet that
includes a table with the provided name.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="sql"></param>
/// <param name="param"></param>
/// <param name="tbName"></param>
/// <returns>A DataSet that includes a table with the provided
name.</returns>
public DataSet GetOracleProcDataSet(string sql, object[,] param, string
tbName)

Thanks in advance for any clues you can give me.

Hi Tim,

VS.NET takes the text shown in intellisense tips from an XML file that is
provided in addition to the assembly (for example, a DLL). The XML file
must have the same name as the corresponding DLL with ".xml" appended and
has to be placed in the same folder as the assembly (assembly "Foo.dll",
XML file "Foo.dll.xml").

Cheers

Arne Janning
 
N

news.bellatlantic.net

Thanks Arne, but I don't seem to have the XML file for any of the projects
assemblies I have built. I did a search of the entire system. I did find a
file with a "pdb" extension. Could this have something to do with it? It's
in the same directory as the dll.

Maybe there is something I have to do to create the XML???

Thanks

--



Tim Moser
Home: 610.970.4263
Office: 610.296.2920
Cell: 484.300.6030
http://www.timmoser.com



Arne Janning said:
news.bellatlantic.net said:
I added these comments "///" (below is an example) to help the developers
use the classes and methods I am adding the library. When I instantiate an
object in the same project I get help from the comments in the IDE.
However
if I add the library to another project I don't get the help. How can I
make
sure I pass the help around? Do you have any information on how I generate
the XML and/or where I can find it to include it in a distribution?
Actually
developers normally will just reference the DLL in their project, I wonder
what the other step would be so they can get the help from the XML file.

/// <summary>
/// Method accepts an SP name and Parameters and returns a DataSet that
includes a table with the provided name.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="sql"></param>
/// <param name="param"></param>
/// <param name="tbName"></param>
/// <returns>A DataSet that includes a table with the provided
name.</returns>
public DataSet GetOracleProcDataSet(string sql, object[,] param, string
tbName)

Thanks in advance for any clues you can give me.

Hi Tim,

VS.NET takes the text shown in intellisense tips from an XML file that is
provided in addition to the assembly (for example, a DLL). The XML file
must have the same name as the corresponding DLL with ".xml" appended and
has to be placed in the same folder as the assembly (assembly "Foo.dll",
XML file "Foo.dll.xml").

Cheers

Arne Janning
 
I

Immo Landwerth

news.bellatlantic.net said:
Thanks Arne, but I don't seem to have the XML file for any of the
projects assemblies I have built. I did a search of the entire
system. I did find a file with a "pdb" extension. Could this have
something to do with it? It's in the same directory as the dll.

Maybe there is something I have to do to create the XML???

Thanks

A quote from another posting of me:
 
A

Arne Janning

news.bellatlantic.net said:
Thanks Arne, but I don't seem to have the XML file for any of the projects
assemblies I have built. I did a search of the entire system. I did find a
file with a "pdb" extension. Could this have something to do with it? It's
in the same directory as the dll.

Maybe there is something I have to do to create the XML???

Sorry Tim,

I forgot to mention that.

Note that I have only a German VS.NET-Version here, the following menu names
may slightly differ if you have an english version.

Click on Project | Properties | Configuration Settings | Build

There is a property named "XML-documentation file". Enter the name of your
assembly, append .xml and rebuild your solution. You should find the file in
the output directory.

Cheers

Arne Janning

PS: pdb-files are necessary for the debugger.
 
Ad

Advertisements

N

news.bellatlantic.net

Thanks Arne and Immo, that did the trick!


Arne Janning said:
Sorry Tim,

I forgot to mention that.

Note that I have only a German VS.NET-Version here, the following menu names
may slightly differ if you have an english version.

Click on Project | Properties | Configuration Settings | Build

There is a property named "XML-documentation file". Enter the name of your
assembly, append .xml and rebuild your solution. You should find the file in
the output directory.

Cheers

Arne Janning

PS: pdb-files are necessary for the debugger.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top