Suggestions on setting up a database

rgabriel1

I am a therapist working in the public schools. We often have to give
suggestions to teachers and parents about ways to improve a student's
classroom behavior, improve fine motor skills, and give strategies to improve
handwriting. Our departments has a lot of information scattered in lots of
different documents. I want to consolidate that information and be able to
plug in what problems a student is having and get a list of suggestions for
school and home. I have some basic access knowledge but I'm unsure about how
to set up the database. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

akphidelt

If you can provide a little more information about what you are trying to
accomplish I can help a little bit more... like what data you have, what
tables you want, and what your end objective is, etc.

John W. Vinson

I am a therapist working in the public schools. We often have to give
suggestions to teachers and parents about ways to improve a student's
classroom behavior, improve fine motor skills, and give strategies to improve
handwriting. Our departments has a lot of information scattered in lots of
different documents. I want to consolidate that information and be able to
plug in what problems a student is having and get a list of suggestions for
school and home. I have some basic access knowledge but I'm unsure about how
to set up the database. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Well... setting up the complete design of a database system is a bit beyond
the typical expectations in this volunteer tech support forum.

You need to identify the "Entities" - real-life people, things or events, such
as Students, Skills, BehaviorIssues, Interventions... whatever make sense in
your context; identify each entity's important Attributes; determine how the
entities are related to one another. Each type of Entity will need a table,
each of that entity's Attributes will be a field.

See the tutorials at:

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

A free tutorial written by Crystal (MS Access MVP):
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

rgabriel1

i'm envisioning users having a form page where they can check off problems
such as lack of hand dexterity, poor postural control, muscle weakness, ect.
and each problem area will have a numbers of strategies to help improve that
area. The user can then generate a report with those suggestions and give it
to the teacher.

BruceM

Steve wrote: "I can design the tables you need and provide you a map of the
tables for a very reasonable fee."

This is an attempt to use the forum to solicit business. That is not the
purpose of the newsgroups, old timer.

message
Bruce;

What are you talking about, kid?

-Aaron

John Marshall, MVP

Looks like some one is back from "vacation". It does not take a lot of
mental gymnastics to put "Steve", "Pennsylvania" and "a very reasonale fee"
together and come up with PCD.

John... Visio MVP

BruceM

My thoughts exactly. Looks like AK is back from vacation, too. BTW, I
noticed that the PCD web site still lists Access/Excel tips as "Coming
Soon". They have been coming soon for several years now. Doesn't say much
about an ability to get the job done.

a a r o n . k e m p f

I'm not so sure that I agree.

If someone asks for help-- it is perfectly normal for someone to offer
their services.

-Aaron

BruceM

You are welcome to disagree. It is what you do, but it doesn't make you
right. A person can offer help, for sure. However, trying to collect money
for the help is most definitely not OK in a newsgroup. If Steve wants to
advertise it is a cost of doing business, and he can expect to pay for it.
If he wants to advertise for free he needs to find an appropriate host.
Newsgroups are for the exchange of information, not currency. Trying to use
the newsgroup as Steve is doing, and has done in the past, is parasitic.

message
I'm not so sure that I agree.

If someone asks for help-- it is perfectly normal for someone to offer
their services.

-Aaron

a a r o n . k e m p f

I just want to know where you come up with a premise like this:

However, trying to collect money
for the help is most definitely not OK in a newsgroup.

Yes-- it might be 'generally accepted' -- but it is neither a rule nor
necessary to enforce.

I just don't think that there is anything wrong with soliciting bids
in newsgroups. Sorry ;)

Newsgroups are _NOT_ for the exchange of information.
If they were-- then MS wouldn't censor.

Thanks

-Aaron

Tony Toews [MVP]

Steve said:
I can design the tables you need and provide you a map of the tables for a
very reasonable fee. The map of the tables will show the name of each table,
all the fields in each table, all the relationships between the tables and
the type pf each relationship. The map of the the tables will be your visual
blueprint of the database.

Map? Gee, that sounds like either the Access relationships window or
more likely Stephen Lebans utility that automatically produces that
map. Which is available from his website for free.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

a a r o n . k e m p f

where do you come up with this premise:

However, trying to collect money
for the help is most definitely not OK in a newsgroup

I just don't get it-- it's like you're speaking greek.

Just because you kids hold a premise-- that doesn't make it true.

-Aaron
The only one on this group that is _RIGHT_.

a a r o n . k e m p f

sounds to me like 'someone should learn how to query the system
tables'.

I query system tables 100 times a day for the past decade.

I sure don't need to 'discover relationships'-- I query system tables.

-Aaron

Fred

These other discussions aside, you really need to start by defining you
mission (including information to store) in non-database terms. THEN move
on to implementing that in DB's. A few startign questions:

Are you recording / tracking information about individual students (by name)?

You also spoke about it bringing up solutions. I would image that this is
more of a neural net decision-making process (decision-making type answers
based on several inpouts with relative weights on them) rather than what
could be implemented in table structures, but table (db) structures could
certainly help in the process. What is the relationship between solutions
and pproblems?