Subwebs and Spiders

Steve Horrillo

In Front Page you can create subwebs on the same domain (web.com/subweb).
You can also create then on the server (subweb.web.com). Which is better
from a SEO (or other) perspective? Which is the best choice for publishing
several topics on one domain? I used FP for www.stephenhorrillo.com. Is
there a better way?

--
Warmest regards,

Steve Horrillo, Realtor / CEO / C.Ht.
http://brokeragenttraining.com (Advanced training for real estate
professionals)
http://over100percent.com (Realtors earn over 100 percent)
http::/hipfsbo.com

Steve Sobol

Steve said:
In Front Page you can create subwebs on the same domain (web.com/subweb).
You can also create then on the server (subweb.web.com). Which is better
from a SEO (or other) perspective?

I'd think that it wouldn't matter, since it's all the same from the point of
view of the spider making an HTTP connection to blah.com and issuing a GET.
However, I don't do subwebs on the projects I do where the site is
FP-enabled, so there are probably others that could answer more
authoritatively than I.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / (e-mail address removed) / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Eric Jarvis

Steve Sobol [email protected] wrote in said:
I'd think that it wouldn't matter, since it's all the same from the point of
view of the spider making an HTTP connection to blah.com and issuing a GET.
However, I don't do subwebs on the projects I do where the site is
FP-enabled, so there are probably others that could answer more
authoritatively than I.

From an SEO perspective both will help if the right keyword is used.
However there is no reason to believe that the algorithms will
consistently favour one over the other. So I'd tend to go for whatever
makes sense in usability terms as the first priority.

If people are likely to aim for the index of the section by going directly
to www.foo.bar.com then it's worth doing it that way. If they will only
ever aim for www.bar.com and then explore other directories then use
www.bar.com/foo/ instead.

neilr

JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / (e-mail address removed) / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

Steve -
Just noticed your sig there - I've no doubt the temperature is high there,
but just for the record how much DOES gas (petrol(?)) cost over there? Here
in the UK we are fast approaching £4.00 per gallon (circa $7.29).

William Tasso

Writing in
From the safety of the BellSouth Internet Group cafeteria
Steve Horrillo said:
In Front Page you can create subwebs on the same domain (web.com/subweb).
You can also create then on the server (subweb.web.com). Which is better
from a SEO (or other) perspective?

The 'best' option is the one which makes most sense to your visitors. I
guess it would be dependent in some way on what you are doing for them.
Which is the best choice for publishing
several topics on one domain?

It really is content/functionality dependent - there is no 'best' choice.

However, subdomains are easier to manage if you are providing content from
more than one server.

Note that wrt: SEO the important unit of granularity is the web document
(page if you like). A web 'site' is simply one collection of several
documents.
I used FP for www.stephenhorrillo.com. Is
there a better way?

Seems to me we've been there before - no further comment at this stage.

dp

William said:
Writing in
From the safety of the BellSouth Internet Group cafeteria

The 'best' option is the one which makes most sense to your visitors.
I guess it would be dependent in some way on what you are doing for
them.

It really is content/functionality dependent - there is no 'best'
choice.
However, subdomains are easier to manage if you are providing content
from more than one server.

Note that wrt: SEO the important unit of granularity is the web
document (page if you like). A web 'site' is simply one collection
of several documents.

Seems to me we've been there before - no further comment at this
stage.

Sub Domains are an internet convention. Sub Webs are a product specific
convention.
I'd go with the internet convention. You can treat a sub domain as a full
domain within FP.

From the safety of the SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com cafeteria
dp said:
Sub Domains are an internet convention. Sub Webs are a product specific
convention.
I'd go with the internet convention. You can treat a sub domain as a full
domain within FP.

Maybe I completely miss the point, but it seems to me that 'subweb' as
used in this thread is simply another name/term for sub-directory.

Is there something I'm missing that would further my knowledge in this
area?

CJM

William Tasso said:
Maybe I completely miss the point, but it seems to me that 'subweb' as
used in this thread is simply another name/term for sub-directory.

Is there something I'm missing that would further my knowledge in this
area?

I came to a similar conclusion. A subweb is an FB construct that is akin to
a Virtual Directory AFAIK. That is, it may be more than just a sub-dir but
is in no way similar to a subdomain...

Chris

Norman L. DeForest

I came to a similar conclusion. A subweb is an FB construct that is akin to
a Virtual Directory AFAIK. That is, it may be more than just a sub-dir but
is in no way similar to a subdomain...

One thing that might be worth considering...

If you use http://someplace.invalid/foo/<site1>
and http://someplace.invalid/bar/<site2>
and http://someplace.invalid/baz/<site3>
on the same server and the sites later grow to the extent that they
have to be placed on separate servers, you will either need redirects
from the original server or you will break a lot of bookmarks.

On the other hand, (foot, paw, tentacle or other appendage) ...
if you use http://foo.someplace.invalid/<site1>
and http://bar.someplace.invalid/<site2>
and http://baz.someplace.invalid/<site3>
on the same server and the sites later grow to the extent that they
have to be placed on separate servers, you will only have to change the
DNS for the sites on the new server(s) for them to still be accessible
and nothing will be broken.

Big Bill

Sub Domains are an internet convention. Sub Webs are a product specific
convention.
I'd go with the internet convention. You can treat a sub domain as a full
domain within FP.

Jeez, I thought they were the same. Good thing I didn't comment, I
suppose. Are M'soft trying to take over the web too?

BB

Thomas A. Rowe

Subwebs/subsite are specific to FP, and require the FP extensions on the live/remote server. They
are not in anyway related to subdomains. Basically they allow you to have one or more completely
independent web sites under a FP root web. Can be used as the content location for a subdomain.

WebMaster Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Steve Horrillo

Jeez, I thought they were the same. Good thing I didn't comment, I
suppose. Are M'soft trying to take over the web too?

I can apply different themes or web forms to each subwed. I think subfolders
must share the same themes. I started out as having them as subfolders but
all you do is right click and can choose "convert to web."

--

Steve said:
I can apply different themes or web forms to each subwed. I think
subfolders must share the same themes. I started out as having them
as subfolders but all you do is right click and can choose "convert
to web."

--
Warmest regards,

Steve Horrillo, Realtor / CEO / C.Ht.
http://brokeragenttraining.com (Advanced training for real estate
professionals)
http://over100percent.com (Realtors earn over 100 percent)
http::/hipfsbo.com

The FP searchbot also limits it's searches to the subweb it's in - e.g.
won't index the main web, just the sub web. A searchbot in the main web
won't index the sub webs.
There's nothing you gain from having a sub web that you can't do in a sub
domain which is more in line with internet conventions. It will make a
difference with some third party products. I've also had a few problems with
FP subwebs and .net applications that went away when I moved them to sub
domains.

For the end consumer it boils down to either addressing
http://sub.mydomain.com or http://mydomain.com/sub