subform record update problem - need some help.

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this one. I've been stuck on it for the past two days, and its driving me crazy :)

Basically i have a Main form for entering Tooling Information (Form A), this has a subform, Tool Spec (Form B). The relationship is defined as a 1 to 1. This is because any one particular tool can only have 1 spec or no spec at all (depends on the type of tool, if you can imagine).

My problem is, i'm putting together a data entry form, when i enter a tooling ID on form A, the ID is show on (FormB) - thats fine (there linking correctly), as i expect. However, if i start to enter information on (Form B), and then i flick back to FormA and modify the tooling ID. It doesn't change the Tooling ID for that record, it creates a new record completely. My changes in form B are then lost and i end up with a row added in the tools table with that original ID.

All i wanna be able to do is enter a tooling ID, and start entering details on the tool (in the subform), if i (or user) decides to change the tooling ID then i just want it to update the record that i'm working on. Not start a brand new tooling record, and save the old one as a seperate record.

I've tried creating a query/view bringing both sets of data together from table A and table B and this seems to work ( i do get a few update problems, "a user is currently editing this record, do you want to save changes to clipboard...))) its only on my machine at the moment (another problem i guess) . However, because i need to link in several other tables, a view wouldn't be the best option, i was thinking of a tab form. With each tab housing a subform.

I'd appreciate any help you can spare on this one - thanks in advance.

One other thing as well, one of the other subforms stores image links. I kinda have the same problem with that too. If i start a new record by adding a tooling ID, and then start adding some pictures to the images subform, flick back to the main form (A) change the digits of the ToolingID, the images are stored under the old ID, even though i haven't explicitly saved the record (clicking forward arrow etc).

It's apparent i'm lacking some further/higher knowledge about subforms/relationships....anyway...please help if you can...thanks Paul

Last edited:

Ask a Question