Stub Zones or Secondary zone

A

A.J. Nemeth

I have two separate 2003 AD domains on my same subnet, each domain has it's own dns servers that do not zone transfer. One domain is oxxyxx.com and the other is oxxllp.com I need to access a webserver in the oxxllp.com, is a stub zone in the oxxyxx.com domain the solution? or is the secondary zone a better solution?

Thanks,

AJ

M

Mark Renoden [MSFT]

Hi AJ

Either will work. From the Windows Server 2003 help:

By using stub zones throughout your DNS infrastructure, you can distribute a list of the authoritative DNS servers for a zone without using secondary zones. However, stub zones do not serve the same purpose as secondary zones and are not an alternative when considering redundancy and load sharing.

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team
Email: (e-mail address removed)

Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email me; I'll post a response back to the group.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I have two separate 2003 AD domains on my same subnet, each domain has it's own dns servers that do not zone transfer. One domain is oxxyxx.com and the other is oxxllp.com I need to access a webserver in the oxxllp.com, is a stub zone in the oxxyxx.com domain the solution? or is the secondary zone a better solution?

Thanks,

AJ

Ask a Question