Marcello

Howard Sartori

I have some strange behaviour with build 614.
#1) Everytime a program, like Word, opens many extra (6
or 7) AntiSpyWare icons pop up on the Tool Tray. If I
just sweep the cursor over most of the extra icons
disappear! Annyong!
#2) Internet Explorer is much slower to launch with any
version of AntiSpyWare.
==Environment, XP Pro SP2 current; the above behaviour
occurs on 10% of my Client PCs.

Thanks. /Howard

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

Can you give me an exact repro to make more icons re-appear? We are aware of
the issue, but all we have so far is " I just let it sit and over time more
appear." We need a report like "Every time I run a Spyware Scan with
AntiSpyware, I get more icons."

--
-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
MCSE, CISSP
PSS Security
http://blogs.technet.com/stevedod

originated.

Yes Steve:

The strange behaviours are always repeatable.
1A) At boot 24+ bulls eye icons are on the system tool
tray; the time is pushed far off to the right. Simply
passing the cursor over the icons will cause all but one
to extinguish.
1B) Open word -- 6 more bulls eye icons appear in the
system tool tray; an again simply passing the cursor over
the icons will cause all but one to extinguish. Open
Internet Explorer, 2 additional bulls eye icons appear;
2005 System Works 2005 is 3, Outlook 6 Express is 2,
WinFAX Pro is 0, MSN messenger 6 is 4, Nero Smart Start
is 3, Windows Explorer is 3, etc.
2) Launch Speed for all applications is 3-4 times as long
to start. I can measure exact times if needed.

Thank you, Howard Sartori, (e-mail address removed) 202-256-
0976

#1) Everytime a program, like Word, opens many extra (6
#2) Internet Explorer is much slower to launch with any
version of AntiSpyWare.
==Environment, XP Pro SP2 current; the above behaviour
occurs on 10% of my Client PCs.

Thanks. /Howard

.

Bill Sanderson

Is the machine in question a Tablet PC?

#1) Everytime a program, like Word, opens many extra (6
#2) Internet Explorer is much slower to launch with any
version of AntiSpyWare.

#1) Everytime a program, like Word, opens many extra (6
#2) Internet Explorer is much slower to launch with any
version of AntiSpyWare.
==Environment, XP Pro SP2 current; the above behaviour
occurs on 10% of my Client PCs.

Thanks. /Howard

I have the beta build installed on 2 pc, about 4 days
ago I installed the
new beta build 613 on 1 pc, and everything went fine.
Yesterday, on the
other pc with the old build is appear the upgrade
windows for the new build,
ok, I maked the update, but the installed build is the
614 and not the 613.
Mhhh, so I try to make the update on the pc with the
build 613 and NO
upgrade avaiable. How it is possible??

Thanks,
Marcello

.

.

.

Bill Sanderson

This sounds like an app compatibility issue of some sort. If I were seeing
this, and had the time, I'd pull up msconfig, and do a binary search
through the startup items--i.e. take all the non-microsoft items and x out
half of them and observe. If the behavior doesnt change, unmark those, and
mark the other half--and try to see if you can spot the driver or other
startup software that is causing the behavior.

--

[...]

confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all
message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
which they
originated.
#1) Everytime a program, like Word, opens many extra (6
#2) Internet Explorer is much slower to launch with any
version of AntiSpyWare.
==Environment, XP Pro SP2 current; the above behaviour
occurs on 10% of my Client PCs.

Thanks. /Howard

I have the beta build installed on 2 pc, about 4 days
ago I installed the
new beta build 613 on 1 pc, and everything went fine.
Yesterday, on the
other pc with the old build is appear the upgrade
windows for the new build,
ok, I maked the update, but the installed build is the
614 and not the 613.
Mhhh, so I try to make the update on the pc with the
build 613 and NO
upgrade avaiable. How it is possible??

Thanks,
Marcello

.

.

.

Bill,
Thanks. Good idea. I just completed shutting some
services, rebooting and testing; then shutting down
another set of services, rebooting and testing.

The problems remain: 1)lots of bulls eyes and 2) very
slow startup - very slow.
/Howard

#2) Internet Explorer is much slower to launch with any
version of AntiSpyWare.
==Environment, XP Pro SP2 current; the above behaviour
occurs on 10% of my Client PCs.

Thanks. /Howard

I have the beta build installed on 2 pc, about 4 days
ago I installed the
new beta build 613 on 1 pc, and everything went fine.
Yesterday, on the
other pc with the old build is appear the upgrade
windows for the new build,
ok, I maked the update, but the installed build is the
614 and not the 613.
Mhhh, so I try to make the update on the pc with the
build 613 and NO
upgrade avaiable. How it is possible??

Thanks,
Marcello

.

.

.

.

Bill Sanderson

I don't know what more to suggest. I know that all users of Tablet PC's
seem to see something which is described similarly.

In addition, users of machines running some versions of VNC and with active
host sessions--i.e. clients looking at the machine Microsoft Antispyware is
running on--also see a similar appearance. I should have remembered that
one in the earlier reply.

If none of these apply to your case, I'm not sure where to point you. VNC,
of course, has various video and other hooks--not sure just where the issue
is.

One thing you could try would be turning off all real-time protection via
the "workaround" para in this KB article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892375 End users may be prompted to allow or
block administrative actions that originate from a central management tool
after they install Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) on a computer that is managed
by Systems Management Server 2003

It'd be interesting to see if turning off real-time protection via the
registry change (and reboot??) in that article does the job.

Since this symptom is seen fairly easily, I assume that the developers have
a handle on it and that we won't see it in beta2--but that doesn't help you
much at the moment.

#1) Everytime a program, like Word, opens many extra
(6
#2) Internet Explorer is much slower to launch with
any
[...]

Good news. After I booted a 2nd time the performance
produces only an occasional 2nd bull's eye in the System
Tool Tray and the speed is certainly back to normal.
Thanks veyr much. I hopes that this will somehow wind
in the list of fixes for the next Beta!!! //Howard

#1) Everytime a program, like Word, opens many extra
(6
#2) Internet Explorer is much slower to launch with
any
[...]

Great--performance issues in general have been a focus of the work of the
developers during this public beta. Very little of that work is reflected
in the actual released beta code, however. If we see this kind of issue
with beta2, it'll require a much closer look.

#2) Internet Explorer is much slower to launch with
any
[...]

Thanks very much, Bill!