Stopping NET SEND 4 Good?

G

Hello Everyone
I am sure everyone knows the mean things you can do with NET SEND. On a campus network with it running in a script is awful. In response to an issue we just had I "disabled" net send. Go to services-->messaging--->disable-->stop service. All messsages stoped appearing on the PC. However I found a nasty loop. Where as it is disabled on each of my machines. It can still be SENT from these machines. Thats right even though its disabled someone can still blast the network with the service disabled. I donot have the resources to change and stop net send on every computer on campus. I can only change the ones in my building under my control.... because mine are seculded they have been targeted for use and my boss isnt happy. Is there a way to compeletly kill net send

Thank
Danie

M

Marc Reynolds [MSFT]

See
330904 Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
Appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904
--

Thanks,
Marc Reynolds
Microsoft Technical Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dan said:
Hello Everyone,
I am sure everyone knows the mean things you can do with NET SEND. On a
campus network with it running in a script is awful. In response to an issue
we just had I "disabled" net send. Go to
services-->messaging--->disable-->stop service. All messsages stoped
appearing on the PC. However I found a nasty loop. Where as it is disabled
on each of my machines. It can still be SENT from these machines. Thats
right even though its disabled someone can still blast the network with the
service disabled. I donot have the resources to change and stop net send on
every computer on campus. I can only change the ones in my building under my
control.... because mine are seculded they have been targeted for use and my
boss isnt happy. Is there a way to compeletly kill net send.

G

Thank you Marc Reynolds
However, My systems are already behind the campus firewall. We do not have problems with the messages getting in from the internet. Rather sent from inside the firewall to our intranet. My network admin said there is nothing he knows to do. Even with the service stoped the command "net send * Hello world" can still be sent from a machine with such service disabled. These machines are Win2k with SP4. I need a way to rip the command "net send" out of the system or block students from sending them out to our campus network. Purchasing a 3rd party firewall is not a soulution that I can do. Anyone have a way to block OUTBOUND transmissions from happening? aka "net send * hello world" returns " 'net send' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Thanks
Dan

Ask a Question