Stopping a program

Ramon

I was copying some files, and my burner quit on me. I've tried to eject it
the CD, but I get a notice Explorer is copying files and to close the
program or wait. Obviously I will be waiting for a long time, since it quit
working. I've tried to shut down and restart and get the same notice.

How do I stop the program from copying? I'm really clueless here.

Thanks

Ramon

"Jim" wrote in message
As with a young dog, sometimes it is best to just let Windows finish.

Windows will be going on for a long long time, it can't copy them to the
burner, the burner went south.

Jim

Try going to Start>Run and type in Services.msc
In the window that comes up, find the IMAPI CD-Burning service, double
click on it, and set it to disabled.

Ramon

"mikesg" wrote
Turn the PC OFF... Turn it back on and BEFORE it boots up to the
operating system, preferrably when it is doing the bios check ... press
the eject button.

Mike,

I will have to hard shut down, it won't let me shut down through the
buttons. You think this is ok?

Thanks

Ramon

"Jim" wrote in message
Try going to Start>Run and type in Services.msc
In the window that comes up, find the IMAPI CD-Burning service, double
click on it, and set it to disabled.

Thanks Jim,

But no go. The CD-Burning service is disabled. I can't eject the CD, I keep
getting the message

"unable to lock the volume (0x80000012) Explorer or another program is
currently copying or accessing files on the CD. You must wait for the
copying to finish or close all programs that are accessing the CD"

This is driving me nuts, I'm stuck in a loop. I can't shut down, and I have
no idea what's happening.

Ramon

Try going to Start>Run and type in Services.msc
In the window that comes up, find the IMAPI CD-Burning service, double
click on it, and set it to disabled.

Ok,

I got the cd ejected, went into windows and it ejected from there. But, I
still can't shut down, it says windows is still working with a program. I
can't even hard shut down, UGH.

Desktop or laptop? If desktop, shut off computer. There is a tiny hole
beneath the CD tray. Straighten a paperclip, and push it firmly into the
hole. Grab the edge of the ejector tray and pull it outward; just enough
force, don't go wild. Remove the CD.

Didn't see you got the CD out. Rt.Clk. taskbar> Task Manager> click on the
CD burner App> End Task.

Ramon

"st.daniel" wrote
Desktop or laptop? If desktop, shut off computer. There is a tiny hole
beneath the CD tray. Straighten a paperclip, and push it firmly into the
hole. Grab the edge of the ejector tray and pull it outward; just enough
force, don't go wild. Remove the CD.

Thanks,

I ended up having to shut the PC (desktop) off at the surge protector. The
tray opened up on restart. Now I just have to get a new burner.

Phew, that was a scary thing being stuck in a loop.