Stephan Lebans' Mousehook not trapping on all forms

Bob Howard

Hi!

I have a main form where I disable the wheel mouse (at form load time) using
the latest code from Stephan Labans (downloaded yesterday). The main form
has various buttons to control the application ... each fires up a form for
the component of the application the user desires to view / update. When
the user clicks to go off to the secondary form, the main form always
remains open, but is not visible as it is "behind" the maximized form the
user is working on. When the user clicks the button on the secondary form
to close it, the main for becomes visible again. When the user clicks the
button to close the main form, I re-enable the wheel mouse. So far, so
good.

All forms are popup (non-modal) and none has a control box.

The problem is that the disabling of the wheel mouse only actually works on
one specific secondary form! The wheel mouse remains functional on the
other secondary forms. And the secondary form on which this works is always
the same secondary form, regardless of which order I perform my test!

Any clues?

Bob (@Martureo.Org)

Bob,

Not sure if this will help, but I have found that if the close button is
disabled in the form properties, it seems to somehow override the mousewheel
functionality, try checking that property.

Rgds,
Glenn.

Bob Howard

Thanks Glenn, but Stephen Labans responded (on May 1st) to a different post
on this forum that the latest version works properly on forms that have the
control box disabled. So I figured it must be something else. I'll turn
the control box back on and give it a try, however. Thanks again. Bob.

Stephen Lebans

Can you send me a copy of your MDB so I can have a look at it? If it
contains proprietary info just delete al of your data and fill a couple
of rows with junk.
--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

Bob Howard

Thanks so much! That's a great offer!!!!!

I'll need send it on a CD in the mail --- it's huge! It is proprietary, but
since I distribute the app for free, it's really not a problem. I'll
include the special password for getting into the code (Access is
practically 100% hidden inside this app). I normally distribute an mde
although all my unit-testing is done with an mdb, so I'll also need to
change the packaging (Inno Setup) to distribute an mdb (so you can open the
VB code).

Please send a private email with a mailing address.

Thanks again!

Bob (@Martureo.Org)

Bob Howard

Well, I gave this a test and found some interesting information!

In each of the forms that was giving me a problem, I set the Close Button =
Yes (it was No) but left Control Box = No

The Close Button didn't show even set to Yes because of the Control Box = No

[Remember this is Popup = Yes]

Now the Stephan Lebans code to disable the wheel works as advertised!

So the simple change of this setting solved my problem and resulted in
nothing different showing on the screen (which is great)!

Thanks for your help!

Bob (@Martureo.Org)

Stephen Lebans

The latest version of the DLL specifically fixes that issue. Are you
sure you did not have an older version, say in your System folder?

Do a search on your system for the DLL. See if an older copy is sitting
somewhere. Please let me know.

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

Bob Howard said:
Well, I gave this a test and found some interesting information!

In each of the forms that was giving me a problem, I set the Close Button =
Yes (it was No) but left Control Box = No

The Close Button didn't show even set to Yes because of the Control Box = No

[Remember this is Popup = Yes]

Now the Stephan Lebans code to disable the wheel works as advertised!

So the simple change of this setting solved my problem and resulted in
nothing different showing on the screen (which is great)!

Thanks for your help!

Bob (@Martureo.Org)

Bob,

Not sure if this will help, but I have found that if the close button is
disabled in the form properties, it seems to somehow override the mousewheel
functionality, try checking that property.

Rgds,
Glenn.
time)
main
form
update.
form
secondary
clicks
works
is

Bob Howard

I Ran a c-drive scan and found only the one module (in the proper folders)
that I downloaded the other day. The module date is 03/24/2004 10:27 PM ---
Bob.

:

[...]

Thanks Bob,
Is the MouseHook.DLL file dated March 12, 2005?

The newest version is in the A2K download NOT the A97 download.
--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

Bob Howard said:
[...]

I got it from the A2K download! There are two places on the web page to get
the A2K download (I just checked) --- but they appear to be slightly
different. The one at the top of the page (just below the hit counter)
points to Ver22. Within the body of the text there's a second A2K download
pointer (near the end of the paragraph) --- but does it not point to Ver22,
and that's the one I used (I didn't notice the difference when I did the
download)!

I also note that the last sentence on the paragraph says "Please note there
is no difference between the MouseHook.DLL included in either the A97 or A2K
ZIP file."

By the way, my module is dated 03/24/2004.

Bob.

Bob Howard said:
[...]

message
[...]

Just did the download from the Ver22 (top of web page) and got the March
12th version. I implemented the new dll, the new VB Module and changed the
function call from MouseHookOFF(False) to MouseHookOFF(True, False) --- all
working fine. Thanks. Bob.