SQL Debugging Not working as it should

Alex Clark

Hi All,

My system:
WinXP Pro, VS.NET 2003, SQL Server Personal Edition.

I'm having problems with my old favourite demon, SQL Debugging from within
VS.NET. I have to say I've found this particular feature to be one of the
most useful and (sadly) unreliable/fragile features in VS.NET, it seems the
slightest thing will break it.

Anyway, I could step into stored proc's no problem up until a couple of days
ago. Now, when I set breakpoints in a Stored Proc, VS.NET does NOT hit
them. I have checked my project properties and yes, SQL Debugging IS
ticked.

If I just select a Stored Proc from the Server Explorer and choose to step
into it, I can do that without any problems, so VS is correctly attaching
its debugger in that scenario, it's just when I execute my VB.NET project
(compiled for Debug) which in turn calls into that Stored Proc, it totally
ignores the breakpoint.

When I look at the stored proc, the breakpoint I've set seems to constantly
have a question mark in the red-dot in the margin, implying that no symbols
are loaded for that document.

I actually did a full Repair using my VS.NET 2003 discs, but to no avail.
Are there any other settings for VB.NET that I need to check in order to
ensure SQL Debugging will work? The only thing I've installed in the past
few days was Quicktime Player, and I doubt that's going to affect SQL
debugging.

Can someone please give me some advice?

Thanks,
Alex Clark

Alex Clark

Hi All,

After many hours of Googling, I found some useful info and I've fixed the
problem. The way I did it was this:

EXEC SP_SDIDEBUG 'legacy_on'

And basically that did the trick. I have no idea why all of a sudden I need
to do this in order to get SQL Debugging to work, especially as I've
rebooted this machine many times and it's had no adverse effects before.
Anyway, just thought I'd post this up here in case anyone else might find it
useful.

Cheers,
Alex Clark

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Alex,

Thanks for sharing the experience in the community. I noticed that you
posted the question in vsnet.debuggin group also. I have replied the post
there. Please check it if you have time. Here is the link for your
reference:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=ODolvT%2
4bDHA.2460%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie
%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3D%2BSQL%2BDebugging%2BNot%2Bworking%2Bas%2Bit%2Bs
hould%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg

Thanks.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: "Alex Clark" <[email protected]>
!Subject: Re: SQL Debugging Not working as it should
!Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:43:37 +0100
!Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb,microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging
!
!Hi All,
!
!After many hours of Googling, I found some useful info and I've fixed the
!problem. The way I did it was this:
!
!EXEC SP_SDIDEBUG 'legacy_on'
!
!And basically that did the trick. I have no idea why all of a sudden I
need
!to do this in order to get SQL Debugging to work, especially as I've
!rebooted this machine many times and it's had no adverse effects before.
!Anyway, just thought I'd post this up here in case anyone else might find
it
!useful.
!
!Cheers,