Sporatic automatic file compression

Jason Watson

We have experienced a user who is running 2000 server
with Terminal Services and is having files automatically
compress. There seems to be no pattern to the compression
and we don't think third party software was installed.
Anyone know if W2k server has some sort of scheduled
automatic file compression?

We know about the compression because of setting the
different color in Windows explorer for compressed files.
We can manually uncompress each file through it's
properties, but there are tons and this would take too
long. Does anyone know how to disable NTFS file level
compression?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Joe Griffin [MSFT]

Are you saying that only some files in the folder are compressed?
This doesn't happen by magic :).

Go to the property of the folder and choose advanced. If there is a check
in "Compress contents to save disk space" remove the check. On a
subsequent dialog box you should have the option to "Apply changes to this
folder, subfolders, and files.

If there isn't a check here, then you can compress the everything and then
un-compress it. This could take some time.

Joe Griffin[MS]