Specific words Categorizaion

N

nfb

Hello there! I have had some experience with excel, but not this early in the development stage of a workbook.

I have been given a task to categorize rows by the specific words that appear in a cell. I have +150K rows to look through.

I have filtered specific words and categorized them. (This is a slow process) But not all words appear. I am looking to make a formula that will use alist to search through that I can update and do this automatically.

There will be 2 different Categories for each row.

If the Column A has "baseball" or "basketball" in it make it the respectivecategory. If both appear, make it “Baseball”.

In the second Category if it has “card” in Column A make it “Primary”, if not make it “Secondary”. If it has a location, add “GEO” tothe end. If not, don’t add “GEO”.

Examples

Column A Column B Column C
baseball cards Baseball Primary
baseball basketball Baseball Secondary
basketball cards new york Basketball Primary GEO
basketball new york Basketball Secondary GEO

I understand this will not work for all 150 rows. But it will take care of the common words, leaving the rather difficult words for me to go through.

D

Don Guillett

Hello there! I have had some experience with excel, but not this early inthe development stage of a workbook.

I have been given a task to categorize rows by the specific words that appear in a cell. I have +150K rows to look through.

I have filtered specific words and categorized them. (This is a slow process) But not all words appear. I am looking to make a formula that will usea list to search through that I can update and do this automatically.

There will be 2 different Categories for each row.

If the Column A has "baseball" or "basketball" in it make it the respective category. If both appear, make it “Baseball”.

In the second Category if it has “card” in Column A make it “Primary”, if not make it “Secondary”. If it has a location, add “GEO” to the end. If not, don’t add “GEO”.

Examples

Column A Column B Column C
baseball cards Baseball Primary
baseball basketball Baseball Secondary
basketball cards new york Basketball Primary GEO
basketball new york Basketball Secondary GEO

I understand this will not work for all 150 rows. But it will take care of the common words, leaving the rather difficult words for me to go through..

This could be done with formulas using IF and FIND or SEARCH. Or, I would prefer a looping macro using INSTR

If all else fails, send file to dguillett1 @gmail.com with a complete explanation and this msg.

Ask a Question