Speakers

Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas for a good set of speakers?

Looking to pay under £200 I've got an audigy card so want some 5.1 surround & remote control?

Anyone got any comments or what to avoid?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello OsKool

I'm not much of an help here, as I have poor hearing, but I'm sure one of our resident Audio Buffs will point you in the right direction.

Flopps or Quad are bound to have some pointers.

What annoys me is that, unlike an Audio store, you cannot "listen before you buy" in a computer store. :confused:

Reaction score
I love my Logitech Z-560s, but they're only 4.1. IMHO, much better than the Klipsches, and cheaper, too.

As far as 5.1 goes, I'd stick to Altec Lansing or something of the sort, unless you want to pay through the roof for the Klipsch Promedias.

Reaction score
I was looking towards maybe Creative DTT 3500 or Inspire 5.1 5700? but I'm gonna have a read up on the others u suggested.
Thx

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If I was in the market to buy speakers I would stay away from Cambridge Soundworks and Polk but would seriously consider two brands namely Altec Lancing and Boston Acoustics. Do some survey and check some of the speakers they have in their range.

It is also very important to keep in mind your personal preference. What you need is basically 5.1 speakers without the decoder built in. Your Audigy will take care of that.

If you shortlist the speakers come back to this thread and we can help you select the right one for your needs.

By the way I also have an Audigy but connected to hifi components and speakers rather than computer speakers.

Reaction score
My brother recently got a set of the inspire 5300, and they sound very good with his audigy. I'll be getting either the 5700 or the midiland 8200 in a couple of months.

Reaction score
Well I got the Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 and am very happy with them so far!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Can't really make any suggestions here. On the two rigs I have with decent sound, on one I have a System made by Reveal, whoever they are, picked it up at a computer fair.

It's a very heavy woofer with built in stereo Amp and crossover and two satellites. It has a flown control panel with on/off, volume, bass & treble and it sounds very good indeed. Cost £75.00 about 4 years ago. Everybody who's heard it remarks how good it sounds but it's only stereo.

On the other rig I have a NAD 3030 Amp with a pair of Ariston monitor speakers, driven by a humble Creative PCI 128. I'm not that impressed with the Aristons, must get something better in the speaker department.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Originally posted by skamp
Well I got the Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 and am very happy with them so far!!

My dearest Skamp,

You have my sympathy!:( :( :(

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Originally posted by floppybootstomp
I have a NAD 3030 Amp......................

Me too its a NAD 3225PE.......great sounding amps 8) 8) 8)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
There you go OsKool...

I'm quite proud of the fact we have a Master in our midst ... Quad is the name ... hope he don't mind my phrase. :bow: Finesse is the word, or maybe ... he knows his stuff. And Flopps is, what I would call, a ‘sound engineer’. :D

No disrespect to Skamp as I have sold numerous creative sound works speaker systems myself. Customers are quite happy with their sound.

You see I really do have quit bad hearing but I do like listening to 'music' ... please note old school here, like classic rock REAL LOUD it helps me to hear. LoL ... I need to 'hear' what the speakers are going to sound like for ME! I have no 'high or Low' tone left in my hearing so it is very important that I get a 'demo' of what to expect. Maybe if "computer" shops could take a leaf out of the Audio Industry here, we would have something a little better than "a pair of computer speakers". :D

Mucks.

Reaction score
I would strongly suggest the Creative megaworks 510D, but they cost more than £200 and they don't have a seperate decoder...

So you might like the inspire 5700 which is cheaper and has a separate AC3 & DTS decoder. Also i nice competitor is the Midiland 8200 (plus) system.

Reaction score
I dont need sympathy at all,as you all know the arsnal of HI-FI gear I have in my lounge room,which consists of a Krell Power amp,and Have been into HI-FI for 13 years,Cambridge Sound works speakers,especially the top line series,are very good for what you pay for!
Of course I could hook up a proper sound system to my computer,but considering what I have in the lounge room,its quite pointless really.
Heres a pic for people who dont know what I have in my Lounge room!

Attachments

• my hi-fi.jpg
    my hi-fi.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 207

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just had a look in the May edition of PC Zone magazine, they recommend for good budget price: Hercules XPS210 2.1 speaker set, only costs £40.00 and is meant to sound real good. www.hercules-uk.com

And their top of the range recommended: Klipsch Promedia 4.1. £299.00. www.klipsch.com

Reaction score
I've got information overload now, got alot reading to do. :roll:

Thanks everyone for all ur input. :D

Reaction score
Why should people stay away from Soundworks? I 've got the DTT2500 and i find them pretty good. And it's not just me. Others that heard them were stunned.

Reaction score
The new Logitech Z680 only cost around €400 here in Belgium so I guess that's about £250 and they are the very very best PC-speakerset in existence today!

Reaction score
well i just ordered some cyber acoustics ca-5001 and they are supposed to be good, the sub alone has the wattage of all of one of the logitechs satellites combined;)

Ask a Question