Sorting with Formatting

Patricia

My data is color coded... black/grey is all old stuff, red is needing to be
done, etc... but when I sort by project status (not necessarly assigned to
one color) and then by project number my row colors stay put and data
moves...

How do you sort data and keep the formatting with it?

Gord Dibben

One method is to use Conditional Formatting on the cells' data to color them.

Then the colors will move with the cells.

Can you CF on "old stuff" and "stuff to be done" somehow?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Jim Cone

Every Excel program I've used (xl5 thru xl11) sorts cell interior color with the data.
The only formatting feature that doesn't move is cell borders.
However, XL2007 could have some unique sorting rules, I suppose, depending on
which summer intern got the assignment.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Patricia"
wrote in message
My data is color coded... black/grey is all old stuff, red is needing to be
done, etc... but when I sort by project status (not necessarly assigned to
one color) and then by project number my row colors stay put and data
moves...

How do you sort data and keep the formatting with it?

RobN

My version of 2007 keeps the colours with the data when sorted. I'm
surprised!!! That's about the first thing Vs 2007 has got right.

Rob