Sorting Problems

Hello,
I have a worksheet setup with mutliple rows that are dependent on one
another. I.e. Row 1 is the title, Row 2 is data about row 1, Row 3 is data
about the title in row1, this repeats for new title/data every three rows. I
would like to be able to sort data based on the title in row 1 /4/7/etc. and
have the other rows move with the title row. In other words I want to
"attach" row 2 and row 3 to row 1. Is there any way to do this?

I am using Excel 2003.

Thank you very much,

excelBRISKbaby

Dave Peterson

Maybe...

If you put a key value on each of the 3 rows in the group (add a column) and
then put an indicator (1, 2, 3) in another added column, you may be able to sort
by those two columns.

Be aware that if you have ties on this key column, you'll want to make each key
unique:

Another option (depending on how many columns each row is using) is to combine
your 3 rows of data into a single row. Then sort that -- and split the results
into 3 rows.

If I've interpreted correctly, then if you highlight the areas you want to
attach and make them into a named range. Then use the dropdown at the top
left to select the named range then use data sort this should only sort
within the range selected

Jim Cone

With your data in column A, starting in row 5...
In B5 enter =A5
In B6 enter =B5
In B7 enter =B6

Copy the three cells with the formulas.
Select from B5 down to the bottom of the data.
Paste

Sort using both columns with Column B as the sort column.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"excelBRISKbaby"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
Hello,
I have a worksheet setup with mutliple rows that are dependent on one
another. I.e. Row 1 is the title, Row 2 is data about row 1, Row 3 is data
about the title in row1, this repeats for new title/data every three rows. I
would like to be able to sort data based on the title in row 1 /4/7/etc. and
have the other rows move with the title row. In other words I want to
"attach" row 2 and row 3 to row 1. Is there any way to do this?

I am using Excel 2003.

Thank you very much,

excelBRISKbaby

Thank you everyone.
I wasn't able to get back here before the COB yesterday. So I wasn't able to
check until now.

I did figure out how to accomplish what I needed done earlier today. There
is an option within grouping to have the group summary at the bottom,
deselect this. This has the group summary at the top. So if you select the
two rows of dependent data (row 2 and row 3) and select Data -> Group and
Outline -> Group. The title row, row 1, becomes the reference row. After that
you can select the rows (row 1, row 4, row 7, etc.) that you want to sort and
sort normally. This will allow the rows that you've grouped together to stay
together.

Thank you very much!

excelBRISKbaby

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I'm sure it will work on smaller
data sets but for my particular case I need something a little bit more
fluid. Also, issues may arise if excel rearranges the rows with the same
indicator number. That is if Row 1-3 have the same indicator number (say 5)
and after the sort they're not ordered correctly (1 2 3) but instead are
ordered in a different fashion (2 1 3) it would make the data results
incorrect.

Thank you very much for your time,

excelBRISKbaby