Sorting Help

Ok, Here is an example of what I am trying to do. All three columns of
information go with each client, using 3 seperate rows. I also put a border
around each set so that it looks better and helps me to see more clearly each
set of rows as seperate information regarding each client. Now, when I go to
sort it in alphabetical order, it moves the client names up into my blank
rows under each client name and will not see the blank cells as being part of
the other group. Also, my borders stay with the cells instead of moving with
the client information that I put it around in the first place. This is
really a problem for me because my client list changes and grows everyday.
Every time I add a client and sort it, my information is screwed up again and
I have to go back and redo my borders and fix the blank cells, etc.

A B C
________________________
John Doe 1111 RRRR
4444 UUUU
7777 YYYY
________________________
Jane Doe 5555 UUUU
8888 IIII
0000 OOOO
________________________
Sarah Doe 7777 PPPP
5555 BBBB
9999 CCCC
________________________

I hope this explains it well enough for someone to help me. I'm frustrated.

Jim Cone

You can fill in the blank cells using this technique from Debra Dalgleish...
http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataEntry02.html
Then you can sort without messing up your data arrangement.
Of course filling in the blanks changes your list formatting.
Also, It will take custom VBA code, to include the cell borders,
as Excel does not include borders when sorting.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Shannon" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

Let your entries start in A2. In D2 enter
=IF(ISBLANK(A2),D1,A2)
and copy down.
Sort by column D.