sorting data across multiple columns

I have lets say 10 columns each labeled , A, B, C, through J.
Each column contains 10 random serial numbers
How can I sort the 10 columns in ascending or descending order so that all
numbers in the 10 columns are sorted within the 10 rows in each column,
from this:
A B C D .....
10 23 24 19
2 7 18 21
17 12 11 18 ETC..

to this:
A B C D...
1 6 11 16
2 7 12 17
3 8 13 18
4 9 14 19
5 10 15 20

Jim Cone

S...,

My Excel add-in "Special Sort" - rel 1.40, should do what you want.
It adds 12 sort features not found in Excel, including sorting by.. .
color, prefix, suffix or middle (where you specify the length/position)
dates, numbers, length, reverse, random and just added is the
Table sort feature that sorts the selection across rows or down columns.

It resembles and responds somewhat like the built-in Excel utility.
Comes with a 2 page install/use Word file.
It is available - free - upon email request.
Remove XXX from my email address.

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
(e-mail address removed)

"Spiderman"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
I have lets say 10 columns each labeled , A, B, C, through J.
Each column contains 10 random serial numbers
How can I sort the 10 columns in ascending or descending order so that all
numbers in the 10 columns are sorted within the 10 rows in each column,
from this:
A B C D .....
10 23 24 19
2 7 18 21
17 12 11 18 ETC..

to this:
A B C D...
1 6 11 16
2 7 12 17
3 8 13 18
4 9 14 19
5 10 15 20

Let us say, your data are in the grid A1:J10. In some cell (say L1) [this
would be the top left-hand side cell of the new grid where the sorted numbers
would go], enter the following formula:

=SMALL($A$1:$J$10,(COLUMN()-COLUMN($L$1))*10+ROW()-ROW($L$1)+1)

Fill-in the formula down the next 9 rows and across the next 9 columns.

For sorting the numbers in descending order, change the "SMALL" in the
formula to "LARGE".

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran