Sorting by Color in Excel 2003

John

I am not sure where this question belongs so I thought I would enter it under
general questions. I have a sheet with 3,245 rows. There are blocks of data
that are highlighted in yellow. The data in the row always starts in the A
column and ends in the F column. I need to sort the data so all of the yellow
blocks are together.
A1:F1 contain the tiles of my cells, then rows A2:F3 contain yellow filled
data then I have no colors until A30:F30 etc.... down to the end of the
sheet. I would like to have all of the yellow colored cells together.
I know Excel does not do this on its own, but I was told thatt here is a way
to create something that will tell it to sort by color.

Jim Cone

Another alternative...
http://blog.contextures.com/
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"John" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
I am not sure where this question belongs so I thought I would enter it under
general questions. I have a sheet with 3,245 rows. There are blocks of data
that are highlighted in yellow. The data in the row always starts in the A
column and ends in the F column. I need to sort the data so all of the yellow
blocks are together.
A1:F1 contain the tiles of my cells, then rows A2:F3 contain yellow filled
data then I have no colors until A30:F30 etc.... down to the end of the
sheet. I would like to have all of the yellow colored cells together.
I know Excel does not do this on its own, but I was told thatt here is a way
to create something that will tell it to sort by color.

John

Guys thanks for all of your help. I copied the module into Excel and can see
the whole module in the VB editor. How do I now get the module to run? For
example one of the modules is called ColorIndex, I type =ColorIndex(A2) into
cell B2 and autofill it all the way down to row 2173. Nothing happens! I just
see the text of the formula copied down.

Jim Cone

Not enough information, however...

Code should be in a standard/regular module not the module behind the worksheet.
"ColorIndex" appears to be Bob Phillips code (you didn't say). It works for me.
If you are seeing the actual formula in the cells and not an error message,
then you need to try again with the cells formatted to "General". (use a new column).
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA