Sony MPEG REal Time Encoder Board Problem

ColTom2

Hi:

I currently have a Sony desktop computer with Windows MCE2005 installed. I
ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and it identified the following
problem in upgrading to Vista Premium.

It said that my multimedia Sony MPEG Real Time Encoder Board will not work
with Vista. So where does this put me in trying to upgrade to Vista? I
assume this is a vital function that I will need with Vista.

Does anyone have a recommendation or solution to this problem that will
allow me to pursue the Vista upgrade?

Thanks,

Tom

Paul Smith

I currently have a Sony desktop computer with Windows MCE2005 installed.
I ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and it identified the following
problem in upgrading to Vista Premium.

It said that my multimedia Sony MPEG Real Time Encoder Board will not
work with Vista. So where does this put me in trying to upgrade to Vista?
I assume this is a vital function that I will need with Vista.

Does anyone have a recommendation or solution to this problem that will
allow me to pursue the Vista upgrade?

In addition to what Richard said.... It depends what you mean by vital, the
board is probably used to encode analogue TV for Media Center. So if you go
ahead and install that, if Sony don't have drivers for it yet you'll loose
analogue TV support.

So it really comes down to if that is vital or not. :cool:

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

ColTom2

Hi Richard:

I have tried too, but have gotten nowhere so far. I was just wondering if
anyone possibly had any info applicable this problem. Most manufacturers
like Sony, HP, etc seem to be reluctant at this point to tell the consumer
anything related to Vista upgrade. They all seem to have a "canned tape"
reply as of now. Hopefully after the official release by Microsoft more info
will be forthcoming.

I guess that I was hoping that someone during the trial period of Vista
Beta had encountered this problem and resolved it. There are a lot of
talented people out there who seem never daunted by like problems and who
always seem to come up with a solution. Each time that I read MS Newsgroups
I am amazed.

Looks as if I will have to wait at least another month to find anything
that would tell me one way or the other if I can or cannot upgrade to Vista
Premium.

Thanks,

Tom

Richard G. Harper said:
You'll need to check with Sony to see if they intend to release Vista
drivers for their device.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

ColTom2 said:
Hi:

I currently have a Sony desktop computer with Windows MCE2005 installed.
I ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and it identified the following
problem in upgrading to Vista Premium.

It said that my multimedia Sony MPEG Real Time Encoder Board will not
work with Vista. So where does this put me in trying to upgrade to Vista?
I assume this is a vital function that I will need with Vista.

Does anyone have a recommendation or solution to this problem that will
allow me to pursue the Vista upgrade?

Thanks,

Tom

ColTom2

Hi Paul:

I currently have broadband connected and use TV quite a bit with MCE2005,
so if I lost TV capability it would not be worth the upgrade. Thanks for
your input.

Tom

ColTom2

Hi:

Just an additional note my Sony VGC-716G desktop computer passed all other
Vista upgrade requirement tests with the exception of this Sony MPEG Real
Time Encoder Board problem. I imagine there are lots of other Sony desktop
computer owners in the same boat.

Hopefully Sony will do the responsible thing and provide an upgrade to
this encoder board that will allow us to pursue the Vista Premium upgrade.

Thanks,

Tom

"ColTom2" <[email protected]
m> wrote in message Hi:

Ron

Tom, My friend you are not alone. The only thing I could do was back my whole system up then run Full Vista setup (not upgrade) and then your driver will work in vista. Ron

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

ColTom2

Hi:

I assume from what you said that I would have to purchase the full version
rather than the upgrade version, which would cost more. Is my assumption
correct?

Thanks

I have just spent time with SONY on the phone about the encoder board
problem. First they said to contact Mocrosoft. They would be able to help me.
WRONG. I told them I was instructed by MS to Sony for an update to resolve
the issue. Sony has no plans for an update, and I was advised to consider
upgrading to a Vista ready Vaio. This system is very upgraded, with the
exception of the OS, and When I asked the SONY rep if what they were telling
me was that I had a three year old system that was NOT upgradable anymore as
far as the OS, which will only be supported by MS for a short time, they said
"Yes, thats Correct". So much for Sony customer support. I'm guessing the
computer companies are all for this release of Windows, it will force alot of
people to HAVE to buy new systems, and probably alot of people trying to
upgrade or install Vista will be flooding repair centers after they lose
functionality in one form or another trying to use this new OS. It's a good
thing this is a family used system, if this had been my work system, I'd be
really uptight right now not being able to upgrade to a newer OS. ( I built
my own workstation PC, and its fully Vista compatable).

Zcar

I have the same problem..Its the only thing the Advisor said will not work.
I may install Vista anyhow and just hope for the best.I may not be able to use Media Center though..
We'll see

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Wonderman

I am running a Vaio desktop with the gigapocket card. The Sony web site has
the Vista driver and after installing both Media Center works great.

I have a Sony VAIO PCV-RZ504 purchased in August 2004. I have been advised
by Sony in writing that the uppgrade to the MPEG Encoder Board will be issued
at the end of March.

I have always found Sony to be very helpful and reliable.

Hey All, I have a PCV-RS620G and upgraded RAM to 2gb and put in a new video
card and Vista works great.......But like all of you I can't get gigapocket
to work.I hope you're right about the update in March.I haven't had any
problems with any of my 3 VAIOs so this is disappointing......Bill

Hi JDS:

You have had much better luck with Sony than I have, as I have been unable
to get any info from them other than of a gerneric nature and nothing
specific as you have.

I agree that Sony in the past has always provided great support. Thanks
for your posting.

ColTom2

Saucy

doctechx said:
Like so many others in these threads, I experienced problems when
upgrading from Windows XP MCE 2005 to Vista. Specifically, I did a
clean install of Vista Ultimate edition. I had ran the Vista update
advisor, and received the notification that the giga pocket MPEG
realtime encoder board (tv tuner) was not compatible. However, after
seeing that Sony had provided several Media Center Vista updates for my
model, I couldn't believe that there was no way to make it work.
Fortunately, I was right.

I recieved the same errors as everyone else from MC. Basically, my tv
tuner was not recognized, and when I looked in the Device Manager, the
encoder board driver was not loaded. I originally tried downloading
the Sony Vista OS migration updates related to MC (Vaio Media Center
version SOAVMC-01347100-US.EXE 6.0.00.10100 and Vaio tv tuner library
update version SOAVTL-01371500-US.EXE 1.7.00.10250). These did not
solve my problem, although they may ultimately be necessary for
success. I'm not sure why Sony is so illusive with regard to the
solution to this problem as it is actually very simple. I simply
downloaded and installed the original giga pocket driver for my model
directly from sony support website. You may get a dialogue box
indicating that the driver may not be configured properly. It gives
you the option to reinstall to meet the operating system requirements.
Do this, and restart. At this point, Vista Media Center should
recognize your tv tuner, and you should be able to proceed with the
setup. I know how frustrating this was for me. I hope this is useful
to others.

--
doctechx
doctechx's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30680