Software backdoors found in Huawei equipment

News Software backdoors found in Huawei equipment

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Becky submitted a new resource:

Software backdoors found in Huawei equipment - The discoveries add fuel to the fire of negative press against the Chinese telecom giant

Bloomberg reports that Vodafone found multiple software vulnerabilities in equipment supplied for their Italian business by China-based telecom giant, Huawei. The issues have all been resolved and there is no evidence of data being compromised.

According to their report, "Europe’s biggest phone company identified hidden backdoors in the software that could have given Huawei...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've always suspected something strange may be going on with Huawei and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

I read somewhere about suspicious components in their phones in Indonesia too.

They should never be allowed anywhere near our 5G system.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a Huawei phone, and although I've got reservations with some them for critical national infrastructure, I'm happy with them as a mobile device :). It is interesting seeing the pressure put on Huawei recently, I seem to recall the CFO was arrested (or at least attempted to be) sometime last year on a visit to Canada.

*Vodafone not Vodaphone. :)

Thanks, I've fixed this now :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hopefully this will settle down soon. I've a few friends who have Huawei phones, they ain't happy either!

I actually do wonder, would you be covered by the consumer rights act with this? It could be argued that if you cannot use half of the services provided by the device is it still fit for purpose?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Hopefully this will settle down soon. I've a few friends who have Huawei phones, they ain't happy either!

I actually do wonder, would you be covered by the consumer rights act with this? It could be argued that if you cannot use half of the services provided by the device is it still fit for purpose?

That's a good point. I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into a massive issue, Huawei are the second biggest phone manufacturers in the world (after Samsung) so I'm sure they won't allow that to happen.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It now looks like Arm are no longer able to supply Huawei... now that will be an even bigger blow to them. I wonder how on earth all of this will pan out!

It'll be interesting indeed! That's a big blow to Huawei but also a big blow to ARM - not being able to sell their chips to the second biggest mobile device manufacturer will surely be a big loss in income for them.

Ask a Question