Smart Navigation Error

RodBillett

Using SmartNavigation. Windows2003 Server Framework 1.0 (3705) IIS6 and I
have IIS configured to utilize the 1.0 framework.

Any Ideas why I would be getting the following jscript error within
Smartnav.js?

htmlfile: Invalid pointer.

it is occuring on line 79 hdm.appendChild(k);

Thanks in Advance
Rod

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Rod,

We are investigating a possible bug in the smartnav.js file right now. You
may be able to work around this by editing the line to read:

if (k != null) hdm.appendChild(k)

I'll post back as soon as we have more conclusive information on this.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

RodBillett

Jim,
I applied the modification as you provided and am receiving the following
error

"the instruction at :0x7473d83a" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The
memory could not be "read".

Just to make sure it wasn't a installation/configuration issue I ran with
both framework 3705 (_288 js files) and 4322. I made sure that I had
properly allowed or prohibited the other framework within Web Service
Extensions, and when the error message came up - I verified that the js file
was from the correct subdirectory.

Thanks
Rod Billett.

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>
Subject: Smart Navigation Error
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:17:39 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Using SmartNavigation. Windows2003 Server Framework 1.0 (3705) IIS6 and I
have IIS configured to utilize the 1.0 framework.

Any Ideas why I would be getting the following jscript error within
Smartnav.js?

htmlfile: Invalid pointer.

it is occuring on line 79 hdm.appendChild(k);

Thanks in Advance
Rod

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Rod,

Wow, that's unexpected. I didn't test that, but sure thought it should
work.

Go ahead and restore the smartnav.js to its original configuration and I'll
follow-up here once we know what's going on with the appendChild method.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:17:39 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Using SmartNavigation. Windows2003 Server Framework 1.0 (3705) IIS6 and I
have IIS configured to utilize the 1.0 framework.

Any Ideas why I would be getting the following jscript error within
Smartnav.js?

htmlfile: Invalid pointer.

it is occuring on line 79 hdm.appendChild(k);

Thanks in Advance
Rod

RodBillett

Jim,
It is not the AppendChild method that is failing. I have debugged it
through a bit more in my application...

It enters the For Loop (Containing the Append Child) with a Kids.length =9.
it falls through with a null k when i=2.

Interestingly,

kids.nodevalue = "CTYPE HTML PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN"
and
kids.text="<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN\" >"

This is the standard information contained within a webform as created by
the IDE. But notice that the "!DO" has been removed from the NodeValue but
not the text!

Also, if you skip over the AppendChild method call, none of the other 9
iterations fall through as null. And the windows Error message now occurs
on the first statement outside of the for loop.

document.body.clearAttributes();

Thanks
Rod

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:17:39 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Using SmartNavigation. Windows2003 Server Framework 1.0 (3705) IIS6
and
have IIS configured to utilize the 1.0 framework.

Any Ideas why I would be getting the following jscript error within
Smartnav.js?

htmlfile: Invalid pointer.

it is occuring on line 79 hdm.appendChild(k);

Thanks in Advance
Rod

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Rod,

So it looks like something is actually either modifying the HTML content,
or we are actually not grabbing the correct string from the DOM.

Is the page where this is happening simple enough that I can get it from
you and reproduce the issue (or attempt to) here?

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:17:39 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA05.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP 0
8
phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

Using SmartNavigation. Windows2003 Server Framework 1.0 (3705) IIS6 and
have IIS configured to utilize the 1.0 framework.

Any Ideas why I would be getting the following jscript error within
Smartnav.js?

htmlfile: Invalid pointer.

it is occuring on line 79 hdm.appendChild(k);

Thanks in Advance
Rod

RodBillett

Its a quite complex web page that displays various controls depending on the
activity being performed. Ya know the kinda windows application in a web
page....

We do have some javascript that make items visible or not (
Display:None/Dislay:inline ) or swap the src or an image or two.

Thanks
Rod

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:17:39 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Using SmartNavigation. Windows2003 Server Framework 1.0 (3705)
IIS6
and
have IIS configured to utilize the 1.0 framework.

Any Ideas why I would be getting the following jscript error within
Smartnav.js?

htmlfile: Invalid pointer.

it is occuring on line 79 hdm.appendChild(k);

Thanks in Advance
Rod

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Rod,

Realize that the smartnav.js pulls the information from the page using the
IE DOM. If you are manipulating content using the DOM as well, you could
very well cause a problem. There are some cases such as these where
SmartNav just won't work. Perhaps this is one of them.

If you can build a reproducable project for me, I'll be glad to dig deeper.
Without being able to reproduce it, I'm afraid I can't be of much help as
much as I'd like to.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:04:27 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA05.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP 0
8
phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:17:39 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
0
8
phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

Using SmartNavigation. Windows2003 Server Framework 1.0 (3705) IIS6
and
have IIS configured to utilize the 1.0 framework.

Any Ideas why I would be getting the following jscript error within
Smartnav.js?

htmlfile: Invalid pointer.

it is occuring on line 79 hdm.appendChild(k);

Thanks in Advance
Rod

RodBillett

Jim, I understand your need for the reproducible project. I also think that
the powers that be are going to want functional back button navigation
within the project as well (Which virtually rulesout smart nav).

I appreciate all that you have done in researching this issue - well beyond
what is necessary. So thanks for taking it that far. But with the level of
integration to our legacy back end (couple layers their) and a couple of
..NET .layers it would take a few days to get us to a workable point. If it
would help - I could send the html source for the page constructed with
smartnav turned on, and copies of our .js files. Let me know.

Thanks
Rod

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:17:39 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA05.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNG P
0
8
phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

Using SmartNavigation. Windows2003 Server Framework 1.0 (3705) IIS6
and
have IIS configured to utilize the 1.0 framework.

Any Ideas why I would be getting the following jscript error within
Smartnav.js?

htmlfile: Invalid pointer.

it is occuring on line 79 hdm.appendChild(k);

Thanks in Advance
Rod

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Rod,

If I can take that and actually run it to see something happening, I'll be
glad to look into it. You can send them to me at the e-mail address here.
Just leave off the "online" part.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>

From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:04:27 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
[...]

This post is provided as-is with no warranties and confers no
rights.

--------------------
From: "RodBillett" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:17:39 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
0
8
phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

Using SmartNavigation. Windows2003 Server Framework 1.0 (3705)
IIS6
and
have IIS configured to utilize the 1.0 framework.

Any Ideas why I would be getting the following jscript error within
Smartnav.js?

htmlfile: Invalid pointer.

it is occuring on line 79 hdm.appendChild(k);

Thanks in Advance
Rod

Troy Simpson

I get the error in the generated javascript for the document
(__dopostBack()). The javascript line that causes the error is :

theform = document.Form1;

The error is "Invalid Pointer".

This error happens when I click the update button after a datagrid edit.
The datagrid is contained inside a multipage. Everything else seems to work
fine, just not the update button with Smartnavigation on. It's fine without
smartnavigation.

Thanks,

Troy