Smart Failure


P

Paul Smart

Hello everyone

I have just bought a computer second hand and am getting the following
message. I do not know exactly what it means or how to fix it so any
help would be greatly appreciated. The message is as follows.

Smart failure predicted on primary master ST360020A.

I know that this is refering to the hard drive and I was wondering if
I can fix it using software or if I have to replace the hard drive.
Any help greatly appreciated.

My thanks

Paul Smart
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

S.Heenan

Paul said:
Hello everyone

I have just bought a computer second hand and am getting the following
message. I do not know exactly what it means or how to fix it so any
help would be greatly appreciated. The message is as follows.

Smart failure predicted on primary master ST360020A.

I know that this is refering to the hard drive and I was wondering if
I can fix it using software or if I have to replace the hard drive.
Any help greatly appreciated.


From http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/smart-technology.html

S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology.
S.M.A.R.T. technology was developed by a number of major hard disk drive
manufacturers in a concerted effort to increase the reliability of drives.
It is a technology that enables the PC to predict the future failure of hard
disk drives. S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an industry standard for hard
drive manufacturers.

Through the S.M.A.R.T. system, modern hard disk drives incorporate a suite
of advanced diagnostics that monitor the internal operations of a drive and
provide an early warning for many types of potential problems. When a
potential problem is detected, the drive can be repaired or replaced before
any data is lost or damaged.


Your best bet is to download and use Seatools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/


Depending on how old the drive is, you may be able to RMA it. Note any error
codes produced.
 
L

Leo

Hello everyone

Smart failure predicted on primary master ST360020A.

I know that this is refering to the hard drive and I was wondering if
I can fix it using software or if I have to replace the hard drive.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Use any SMART interpreting program
(http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/DTemp/DTemp.zip,
ftp://xponik.spb.ru/pub/hdd/hddspd21.zip,
http://www.acelab.ru/products/pc/utility.smart203.zip,
http://mhddsoftware.com/files/mhdd/mhdd29.zip etc.) to check SMART
attributes. The further actions depend on values of attributes.

Leonid
 
A

Arno Wagner

Previously Paul Smart said:
Hello everyone
I have just bought a computer second hand and am getting the following
message. I do not know exactly what it means or how to fix it so any
help would be greatly appreciated. The message is as follows.
Smart failure predicted on primary master ST360020A.
I know that this is refering to the hard drive and I was wondering if
I can fix it using software or if I have to replace the hard drive.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Expect it do die soon. That is the whole purpose of this message.
Software will not help.

Arno
 
L

Leo

Folkert Rienstra said:
Oh goody, a utility with a setup completely in russian.
Sorry, i have forgotten, that Smart Vision almost all in russian. Use
DTemp, it is much better and also it is in english.
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

Paul Smart

Arno Wagner said:
Expect it do die soon. That is the whole purpose of this message.
Software will not help.

Arno
Thanks for the help everyone.

I thought it would die soon but I just wanted confromation. I was
planning on updating it some things in the computer anyway, so I will
replace the hard drive at the same time. If anyone has any
suggestions on good hard drives I would appreciate them. What are
your favorites and why.

My thanks.

Paul who is trying to learn more about computers.
 
F

Folkert Rienstra

Paul Smart said:
Thanks for the help everyone.

I thought it would die soon but I just wanted confromation. I was
planning on updating it some things in the computer anyway, so I will
replace the hard drive at the same time. If anyone has any
suggestions on good hard drives I would appreciate them. What are
your favorites and why.

My thanks.
Paul who is trying to learn more about computers.
Don't expect to get it from the people that can only spew "Expect
it do die soon" without asking what it actually complains about.

And when you don't follow up on the suggestions and just go
buy a new drive there is very little that you actually learn.
 
J

John Turco

Paul said:
Thanks for the help everyone.

I thought it would die soon but I just wanted confromation. I was
planning on updating it some things in the computer anyway, so I will
replace the hard drive at the same time. If anyone has any
suggestions on good hard drives I would appreciate them. What are
your favorites and why.

My thanks.
Hello, Paul:

Some people, here, recommend Samsung drives, due to their quietness,
coolness (from a temperature standpoint, that is <g>), and good
performance.

I, myself, bought two of this manufacurer's HDD's (a matching pair of
SP1614N babies - 160GB, 8MB cache), a couple of weeks ago. Haven't
installed them, yet, though.

Too many other upgrade issues to resolve, first, such as: Partition size
limitations (in Windows ME), potential IRQ conflicts (involving my generic,
Silicon Image-based "Ultra ATA" controller card), etc.
Paul who is trying to learn more about computers.
So am I (see above!), and I purchased my original PC (Pionex 486DX2/66,
a "dinosaur"), in 1995. There's always more to learn on this fascinating
topic, hence, please don't fear to inquire further. I've gained a lot
of knowledge, over the years, from <and other, computer-related newsgroups, and I'm sure that you will, also.

Good luck!


Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

Paul Smart

John Turco said:
Hello, Paul:

Some people, here, recommend Samsung drives, due to their quietness,
coolness (from a temperature standpoint, that is <g>), and good
performance.

I, myself, bought two of this manufacurer's HDD's (a matching pair of
SP1614N babies - 160GB, 8MB cache), a couple of weeks ago. Haven't
installed them, yet, though.

Too many other upgrade issues to resolve, first, such as: Partition size
limitations (in Windows ME), potential IRQ conflicts (involving my generic,
Silicon Image-based "Ultra ATA" controller card), etc.


So am I (see above!), and I purchased my original PC (Pionex 486DX2/66,
a "dinosaur"), in 1995. There's always more to learn on this fascinating
topic, hence, please don't fear to inquire further. I've gained a lot
of knowledge, over the years, from <and other, computer-related newsgroups, and I'm sure that you will, also.

Good luck!


Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
Thanks John

That was very helpful. I am currently working in Tokyo so I will head
down to the electronic district next week. To answer the previous
posters question, I fully intend to follow up on your suggestions,
they are very helpful. I am just intending to buy a new drive so I
can get to work on my computer. I will keep the old one and
experiment with it. It will be my learning drive if you will. If it
turns out to be fine I will even reinstall it, I can always use more
power or a place to back things up. My thanks.

Paul
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top