Slow Pages - HELP

G

My pages are all around 20-25kb in size and 'reports' is telling me that they're taking up to 90 seconds to load for 56k moden.. I use one gif for the banner which has been optimized and my nav buttons really aren't that big a deal. No flash, no music, no jpg's. I've tried re-sizing my gif banner to 75 ppi and it reduces to postage stamp size. I don't get it, I have one page that has an auto shape rectangle on it - that's it - and the program is telling me that I'm 9 seconds over 56k. What am I doing wrong? Thanks. Also, I'm using the exact same graphics on every page, will this make a difference?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

URL ?

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
==============================================

DaveNYC said:
My pages are all around 20-25kb in size and 'reports' is telling me that they're taking up to 90
seconds to load for 56k moden.. I use one gif for the banner which has been optimized and my nav
buttons really aren't that big a deal. No flash, no music, no jpg's. I've tried re-sizing my gif
banner to 75 ppi and it reduces to postage stamp size. I don't get it, I have one page that has an
auto shape rectangle on it - that's it - and the program is telling me that I'm 9 seconds over 56k.
What am I doing wrong? Thanks. Also, I'm using the exact same graphics on every page, will this
make a difference?

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

Also, how are you resizing and optimizing?

| My pages are all around 20-25kb in size and 'reports' is telling me that they're taking up to 90 seconds to load for 56k moden.. I use one gif for the banner which has been optimized and my nav buttons really aren't that big a deal. No flash, no music, no jpg's. I've tried re-sizing my gif banner to 75 ppi and it reduces to postage stamp size. I don't get it, I have one page that has an auto shape rectangle on it - that's it - and the program is telling me that I'm 9 seconds over 56k. What am I doing wrong? Thanks. Also, I'm using the exact same graphics on every page, will this make a difference?

G

o URL, I'm just getting ready to publish. I'm using PaintShop Pro's GIF Optimizer, cutting back to 16 colors (using yellow, red and blue) When I try to resize to 76ppi, the image goes down to postage stamp size and when I enlarge it, it's mush. I've read all the books, done all the turorials, even submitted one of the graphics to a "graphic optimizer" and they gave me back a gif that was basically black and white. I don't tet it. There's not that much 'going on' in my site - in fact, there's nothing. I did my own buttons, but optimized them down to .6 second download so I don't think that's it. I'm really confused.

C

chris leeds

put it up and we'll be happy to look. you could be getting false readings
on the timer/ estimator.

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

The email address on this posting is a "black hole". I got tired of all the
spam.
Please feel free to contact me here:
http://nedp.net/contact/
--

DaveNYC said:
o URL, I'm just getting ready to publish. I'm using PaintShop Pro's GIF
Optimizer, cutting back to 16 colors (using yellow, red and blue) When I
try to resize to 76ppi, the image goes down to postage stamp size and when I
enlarge it, it's mush. I've read all the books, done all the turorials,
even submitted one of the graphics to a "graphic optimizer" and they gave me
back a gif that was basically black and white. I don't tet it. There's not
that much 'going on' in my site - in fact, there's nothing. I did my own
buttons, but optimized them down to .6 second download so I don't think
that's it. I'm really confused.that they're taking up to 90 seconds to load for 56k moden.. I use one gif
for the banner which has been optimized and my nav buttons really aren't
that big a deal. No flash, no music, no jpg's. I've tried re-sizing my gif
banner to 75 ppi and it reduces to postage stamp size. I don't get it, I
have one page that has an auto shape rectangle on it - that's it - and the
program is telling me that I'm 9 seconds over 56k. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks. Also, I'm using the exact same graphics on every page, will this
make a difference?

R

Ronx

In my experience the load times in Reports are over-estimates, and the load
times shown when editing pages are under-estimates. The true figure (for my
pages) is in between, but nearer the "edit view" estimate. (For one of my
pages: Reports 23 secs., Edit View 5 secs., Actual [downloaded and
rendered] 12 secs. The page is 15KB, 8 images, plus external JavaScript and
CSS).

Since you are using the same images (.gif and .jpg) in all pages, the first
page will take longer to load than the rest - the images will be loaded from
the browser's cache (except for VML graphics, which are embedded in the
page.)

You may want to consider removing the auto-shape: this uses VML graphics
which are only visible in IE5.0 and later, and may be adding a lot to the
rendering time for that page.

Ron
--
Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.

DaveNYC said:
My pages are all around 20-25kb in size and 'reports' is telling me that
they're taking up to 90 seconds to load for 56k moden.. I use one gif for
the banner which has been optimized and my nav buttons really aren't that
big a deal. No flash, no music, no jpg's. I've tried re-sizing my gif
banner to 75 ppi and it reduces to postage stamp size. I don't get it, I
have one page that has an auto shape rectangle on it - that's it - and the
program is telling me that I'm 9 seconds over 56k. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks. Also, I'm using the exact same graphics on every page, will this
make a difference?

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

First, don't rely on the download time estimate thingie.

Don't keep resizing...or you will have mud on your hands - with any lossy format. Resize & optimize is the last thing you want to do before you put it into your design.

Don't get hung up on download times in the beginning, get the site up so we can see it - then we can help mo' betta :)

| o URL, I'm just getting ready to publish. I'm using PaintShop Pro's GIF Optimizer, cutting back to 16 colors (using yellow, red and blue) When I try to resize to 76ppi, the image goes down to postage stamp size and when I enlarge it, it's mush. I've read all the books, done all the turorials, even submitted one of the graphics to a "graphic optimizer" and they gave me back a gif that was basically black and white. I don't tet it. There's not that much 'going on' in my site - in fact, there's nothing. I did my own buttons, but optimized them down to .6 second download so I don't think that's it. I'm really confused.
|
| "Crash Gordon®" wrote:
|
| > Also, how are you resizing and optimizing?
| >
| > | My pages are all around 20-25kb in size and 'reports' is telling me that they're taking up to 90 seconds to load for 56k moden.. I use one gif for the banner which has been optimized and my nav buttons really aren't that big a deal. No flash, no music, no jpg's. I've tried re-sizing my gif banner to 75 ppi and it reduces to postage stamp size. I don't get it, I have one page that has an auto shape rectangle on it - that's it - and the program is telling me that I'm 9 seconds over 56k. What am I doing wrong? Thanks. Also, I'm using the exact same graphics on every page, will this make a difference?
| >

Ask a Question