Slow Outer Joins

G

I am working in an object oriented database and need to pull a number of fields from different objects if they exist. I can find matches with ease but when attempting to do an outer join, the system comes to a crawl. Is there a way to change the settings for the query or the join such that if the the include all table has a null value, the query does not go through all the values in the joined file

I have tried different options but don't know how to enhance the performance short of doing union queries which would get ugly since I need to do outer joins on about 10 different tables

Thanks in advance for any help.

J

John Vinson

I am working in an object oriented database and need to pull a number of fields from different objects if they exist. I can find matches with ease but when attempting to do an outer join, the system comes to a crawl. Is there a way to change the settings for the query or the join such that if the the include all table has a null value, the query does not go through all the values in the joined file?

I have tried different options but don't know how to enhance the performance short of doing union queries which would get ugly since I need to do outer joins on about 10 different tables.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are the join fields indexed? (Perhaps a silly question but one should
never overlook the simple solution!)

G

Yes, the join fields are indexed and I am selecting the outerjoin file with the indexed item. This is occurring through ODBC.

Ask a Question