Slow code generation and windows form loading

G

Hello

I am experiencing extremely long time for loading a windows form in my Visual C++ .NET project
This Windows form has just 40 labels, 4 checkBoxes, 2 buttons and 11 numericUpDown.
It takes several minutes to load this form in the form designer when I double click on the .
file in the Visual Studio .NET Solution Explorer. It gets worse with another form that has
more controls.

It gets really dramatic when I try to compile in Release configuration (compilatio
in Debug configuration is fine) or when I select another language to localise the form with the
form designer. That can take up to 20 minutes every time I compile in Release config after a modificatio
or for loading each of the three localisation languages for the form in the form designer.
Then not only the IDE gets blocked, but also everything else on the machine (2 GHz machine
with 512 Mb, same is true with a Centrino 1.6 GHz with 512 Mb). It is the "devenv.exe" process
that uses 100% processor resources during all this time.

Is there any parameter to set or any fix available
Please help, this behaviour is really driving me crazy.

Thanks
J

T

Tarek Madkour [MSFT]

I am experiencing extremely long time for loading a windows form in my
Visual C++ .NET project.
This Windows form has just 40 labels, 4 checkBoxes, 2 buttons and 11 numericUpDown.
It takes several minutes to load this form in the form designer when I double click on the .h
file in the Visual Studio .NET Solution Explorer. It gets worse with another form that has
more controls.

The KB article (Q832138) at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=832138
describes a QFE that fixes this problem.
It gets really dramatic when I try to compile in Release configuration (compilation
in Debug configuration is fine) or when I select another language to localise the form with the
form designer. That can take up to 20 minutes every time I compile in
Release config after a modification
or for loading each of the three localisation languages for the form in the form designer.
Then not only the IDE gets blocked, but also everything else on the machine (2 GHz machine
with 512 Mb, same is true with a Centrino 1.6 GHz with 512 Mb). It is the "devenv.exe" process

How long does your project take to compile under "normal" conditions? Is
the IDE just hanging in those 20 minutes or is the compiler actually
working on something?

Thanks,

G

Hello,

Thanks for the input on the KB article. I will try this right away.

I have performed further tests concerning the build:

When compiling in Debug configuration (after having performed a "Clean"),
it takes 18 seconds.

When compiling in Release configuration (after having performed a "Clean"),
it takes 9 minutes. I was not totally right concerning this case. This is the
"cl.exe" process that takes 100% of the processor resources in this case.
Everything is therefore very slow but the IDE is not blocked and the animated icon for "Build" that appears in the task bar of the IDE rolls its animation in a regular way.

However, if I change anything to one of the forms that are long to load, the
build takes a lot longer time.

Thanks for the help.

"Tarek Madkour [MSFT]" said:
I am experiencing extremely long time for loading a windows form in my Visual C++ .NET project.
It takes several minutes to load this form in the form designer when I double click on the .h
more controls.

The KB article (Q832138) at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=832138
describes a QFE that fixes this problem.
It gets really dramatic when I try to compile in Release configuration (compilation
form designer. That can take up to 20 minutes every time I compile in
Release config after a modification

How long does your project take to compile under "normal" conditions? Is
the IDE just hanging in those 20 minutes or is the compiler actually
working on something?

Thanks,

Ask a Question