Slow Boot and Operations

G

Gregg

My XP Pro is starting to run slower and slower, I have 51
processes running right after boot. Is that the reason?
How do I Not start some of these? I installed AdAware to
get rid of data miners, but it is still slowing down.

Gregg

G

Same happened to me - had a very rough 2 weeks! It may be a Trojan Horse that Norton, Adaware & Spybot didn't pick up. I'm not a technie but go to Windows Task Manager - Processes - click on heading "Image Name" to get list in alphabetical order - check svchost.exe - they should not or hardly be using CPU - check CPU Usage at bottom - should be small. Start-Run-msconfig-Services-click on heading Service to put in alphabetical order. I don't know if it can attach itself to any other but mine had attached itself to Terminal Services-if it isn't this one disable so as to isolate whatever = make sure you have Plug & Play, Remote Procedure (2 of them) & System Restore enabled at all times (4 in total). I'll elaborate how to isolate if necessary but it means rebooting each time so it is laborious. (Quick fix is to End Process of offending svchost but this will only be efficient until you reboot whenever and you have to End Process of offending svchost each time). Right click on My Computer to Manage-Services & Applications-Services-under name double click on Services-make sure offending file (in my case Terminal Services) is disabled. Reboot-open Windows Task Manager and svchost shouldn't be using cpu and CPU Usage should not hit and remain at 100% or near it. Hope this helps. David

Ask a Question