Slow asymetric file transfer when using Win XP with Win 95

jc

There appear to be a lot of people who are affected by slow file
transfers between a machine running Win Xp and one that is running Win
95. I am wondering if anyone has discovered a solution for this.

I have a Win 95 machine and have added a Win Xp (with SP1) machine.
The network is via a Linksys BEFSR41 switch. The NIC on Win 95 box is
10Mb/s. The NIC on the Win XP box is 100 Mb/s. Sending a file using
explorer from Win 95 to Win Xp is EXTREMELY slow - almost unusable.
Sending a file from Win XP to Win 95 is much faster. I am using TCP/IP
for file and printer sharing.

Any thoughts, pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jester

Robert L [MS-MVP]

quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
XP accesses Win9x very slow

Symptom: in a mixed OS, win98, MW and W2K/XP, if win98 and Me client have a
password-protected file share; all computers are part of a workgroup; you
are using the "Save this password" feature on your XP client computer, you
may experience slow browsing Win98 and ME from the XP.

Resolution: XP always saves the password in the Credential Manager. When you
browse a Win98 or Me client in a peer-to-peer network, Credential Manager
tries to contact a domain controller to validate the password. Because the
computers are in a workgroup environment, there is no domain controller, and
you must wait until the requests timeout. Install SP1 should fix this
problem.
--
For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on http://www.ChicagoTech.net

jc

Robert,

Thanks for your response. However, I believe that this refers to the
slow browsing issue. I can browse the folders just fine. It is only
when doing a file copy from Win 95 to Win XP that the network is slow.
E.g. 15 minutes to copy a 20 MB file. Copying the other way is fast
<40 secs.

In any case I just removed TCP/IP from file and printer sharing and
replaced this with Netbeui. The network is humming now. Would still
like to understand the problem with TCP/IP though.

Regards,

Jester.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

if this is the case, you may want to check the hardware settings such as nic
and switch/hub.