Slightly OT: Installing applications

Jon

If I build an .exe file in VS C# 2008 Express, I can copy this executable to another PC, and if I
double-click on it, the programme runs fine.

What are the advantages + circumstances where I should install a programme that I write (eg like
Adobe Reader is installed) rather than simply copying the .exe file?

Alberto Poblacion

Jon said:
If I build an .exe file in VS C# 2008 Express, I can copy this executable
to another PC, and if I
double-click on it, the programme runs fine.

What are the advantages + circumstances where I should install a programme
that I write (eg like
Adobe Reader is installed) rather than simply copying the .exe file?

You would write an installation program when you wish to automatically
configure something on the destination computer (for instance, a desktop
icon or a Start Menu entry), or when you want to automatically deploy some
prerequirement for your program (for instance a DLL that needs to be
installed to the GAC, or a COM DLL that needs to be registered, or the .Net
Framework itself).

Jon

Thanks mark and alberto for your advice.

Jon