Sky vs Zen vs Plusnet for Fibre Broadband

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Could be an error mate, Its supposed to be accurate though. Does the BT site say you can get FTTC?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
https://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

If you look up your exchange there, does it say Zen is LLU?

Yeah it does say it's at the exchange, but I get the IP profile information which I didn't expect (perhaps I misunderstood, but I didn't expect to see that with LLU):

Download speed achieved during the test was - 19.3 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 14.44 Mbps-20.63 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 20.63 Mbps

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thats odd. As Zen told me that the reason the IP profile info wasn't available is because I'm on the Zen network due to the exchange being LLU'ed..

God knows. At this stage I find it hard to trust anything they tell me.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
@bootneck02: I have no idea what that means, sorry.

@Ian: Regarding the single thread burst issues, I think it might just be a London gateway thing. But not sure, I'd assume you're through Manchester.

Something else I've noticed. Packetloss seems to be slightly worse with Zen than it was with PN.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So they put me on a new VLAN (I think thats what they said they were doing, I was at work and doing several things at once when they called) Apparently the one I was on was congested.

Overall speed hasn't improved sadly but burst is fixed.

The result:
148036425917799625892.png

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes, and tbh it feels much better too, Everything feels snappier etc.

Sadly there is nothing they can/will do with regards to the overall speed as its above the 59Mbps fault rate. Even if I pay the £130+ for an engineer to come out they will just take one look at it and say its fine and leave. Because Openreach.

So i guess I'm stuck. It still fast, just not as fast as it should be/could be/has been, but I guess I should be happy with what it is. It did annoy me at first but I'm over it now. :D

It is my luck that its sitting just above the minimum though isn't it, talk about sods law.

If it drops again though......

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
A pleasant surprise....

148049259919355560023.png

Gone up to 70Mbps overnight. (I'm assuming its DLM doing its thing) If I can get the last 5 back I'll be happy. :D

Pings have doubled though.

I've also decided I want to unlock my HG612. I want my line stats and something like DSLStats to monitor it. Plus https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/

Might do it this weekend. Though on the flip side part of me says leave it and let it do its thing. I don't want to resync for no reason.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looking more promising :D. Hopefully there's still some way to go!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Indeed things are looking up.

I think the TBB test ping is off too as there is no change in my BQM and Speedtest.net still shows 9ms. :)

You can see when it changed at just gone 1am, there is no change in latency there.

8a529074fa6009abc590925233f183eb-30-11-2016.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does the Zen portal show any DLM info on the line, as I guess that side of things are working now that your account is >24h old. Would be interesting to see if any profile change happened then.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nope. All I see is this:

Attachments

• Zen1.jpg
    Zen1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 117

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Just looked back at the screenshots you posted here. You're on WBMC (BT) and I'm on GEA (Zen).

Your current maximum download speed is 70020Kbps.
Your current line technology is GEA FTTC.

That would explain the differences we've seen (IP Profile etc) even though your exchange is supposed to be Zen LLU too. I'd have thought you would be GEA aswell. Maybe you'll be switched sooner or later?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hopefully it'll keep rising then :).

Well spotted - I'll keep an eye on what happens at my exchange and see if they switch me!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I spoke to Plusnet today, Just as well I did as the 'system' had sorted the connection but the billing was still active.

As there is no MAC code anymore its all down to the gaining provider to sort it out known as GPL or Gaining Provider Led. So I'm unsure if I should be blaming one or the other, or indeed both!

Ugh. You know what, switching current accounts is easier than switching broadband. When I moved to Santander it was sooooooooo easy.

Ask a Question