Sky News ... are 'reporters' all as dumb as this ??

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
A 20-year-old Chinese student has reportedly been electrocuted by his computer after it came into contact with his sweaty legs.

Victim's PC overheated

The man, identified only as Wu, died after trying to stop his computer overheating, according to the Shanghai Daily.

He reportedly opened the external casing of the computer to prevent it from overheating because he did not want to switch on the air conditioner in his home.

Police believe his sweaty legs then came into contact with the computer's wiring, which might have caused a short circuit.

The computer's internal voltage is 380 volts, which is powerful enough to deliver a fatal shock. [mucks comment: Bollocks]

An initial investigation by police officers and medical staff confirmed Mr Wu had been electrocuted.

They found bruises on his legs as well as blood from his nostrils.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1278065,00.html?f=rss

:confused:

He may well have been 'electrocuted' but I find it very hard to believe he did so from inside his PC ... :rolleyes:

There is lethal mains voltage inside the power supply prior to the transformer, but there is no way to make contact with it unless you physically go inside the power supply, and cut through the insulation. Mains voltage throughout China is 220VAC 50Hz.

user.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Seems strange doesn't it - unless his PSU cover was off and he stuck his finger in there I don't know how that could happen? The highest voltage on the board is only 12V I thought.

I wouldn't even think that mains power would be enough to cause that bad a reaction?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
They simply have not done any homework ... ;)

:user:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Perhaps he stuck his sweaty leg into the PSU, new form of water cooling? :p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
In answer to the opening question .

No is the answer .

They are usually much worse .

nod.gif