Six Sony Digicams fail inspection tests in China

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Surprising to note that Sony's quality of Digicams is so low that they could not even pass the Chinese quality tests. According to Interfax China Sony's 6 digicams out of nine picked up for inspection failed to pass the tests conducted by the Zhejiang Administration for Industry and Commerce, across China. The models in question are listed below:

DSC-H1
DSC-L1
DSC-P200
DSC-W7
DSC-W5
DSC-S90

Sony was also accused of bribing the local Chinese newspapers to get them to refrain from publishing the ban on the camera as well. Another report stated that Sony, LG and 14 others fined by Beijing government for false financial data.

Source

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh dear! This surprises me from Sony, as I've always held them in high regard!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
This was a big surprise for me as well! However, I have never taken Sony digicams seriously. I have used some of their models and I always felt the software bundled with them leaves a lot to be desired. Later I had come across a report about digicam softwares and the top ones were bundled with Nikon and Canon cameras, followed by Olympus and others. Sony was right at the bottom of the table. This was a good find for me and sort of confirmation that I was not wrong in my assumption.

Reaction score
I don’t purchase Sony any more, they have gone downhill fast-and with no brakes they appear to be in trouble.:rolleyes:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Oh dear! This surprises me from Sony, as I've always held them in high regard!
Nope, no surprise here ... I'm getting rather fed-up of seeing the Sony name behind a faulty piece of kit.

;)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Does not augur well for the new Playstation . If Microsoft xbox 360 had its faults then me thinks i will leave the Sony console well alone or maybe coz its their flagship theres nothing to worry about ??. Would never have thought Sony would become so unreliable .. LG are good never had any probs with their technology.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Sony seem to be losing it in the Digicam stakes...Especially after reading a certain review by one of quads friends on another forum, I would never buy one of there cams..

LG make some quality equipment nowadays

LG are also the people behind HD Technology...;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I just hope that folks make an informed decision when considering to buy any electronic gadget with SONY plastered on the face of it. I will of course ensure my friends and family do not buy any Sony product. Sony were good at one time but that is history.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What about the DSC P-10? Thats the camera i got back in April, It takes some great photos.

Quad said:
I always felt the software bundled with them leaves a lot to be desired
I agree, the software i got with mine is rubbish, saw it on a friends pc and never bothered installing it. I just hook it up to the pc with the USB cable and cut and paste the photos in to a file. That is ok to do isn't it?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
What about the DSC P-10? Thats the camera i got back in April, It takes some great photos.

I agree, the software i got with mine is rubbish, saw it on a friends pc and never bothered installing it. I just hook it up to the pc with the USB cable and cut and paste the photos in to a file. That is ok to do isn't it?

Well the DSC P-10 is not listed so I guess it should be OK! In any case your is working fine so not to worry about it.

As for copying photos without the software being installed is absolutely OK, I do not see why it cannot be done the way you do it. Windows XP sees the Memory card as another drive. However, there is another way which will save those batteries in the camera or or if you run out of them and cannot use the camera to transfer the pictures. Get yourself a decent Card Reader which is now available at very low prices, say between 10-15 quid. It will be a USB 2.0 device and extremely fast for transfering pictures, your camera is only USB 1.1 I guess which makes it 30-40 times slower than transfering from the camera.

Just a suggestion for a better alternative.

For your information, I use a 14-1 Card Reader from Apacer which was something like £10 and works absolutely fine for what I paid for.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've had a look at the card readers a while back, but never really got past the looking stage.

Its something i definitely want/need. What you think of the Card Readers/Floppy drives? I would like to keep my desk clutter free so that would be a bonus. :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Well just pick up whatever you like, just make sure it is USB 2.0 and atleast a 14-1 or more.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, Thanks for the info Quad. :thumb:

Helpful as ever. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Well just pick up whatever you like, just make sure it is USB 2.0 and atleast a 14-1 or more.
... that's USB High-Speed.

If it don't say High-Speed then it will not be true USB 2

;)