single SATA to Raid 1

migration from SATA drive to SATA RAID 1

I've just received my Dell Optiplex 755 with Vista Ultimate and 2x250 SATA
drives.
I asked Dell to configure the 2 disks as RAiD 1 but it turned up with the
two disks as separate SATA drives.

I want to migrate the already installed sytem to RAID 1.

So far, I used the Complete PC Backup to create a backup of disk C: (which
contains two partitions, the "system or c:" and the a recovery partition)
onto an external hard disk.

I configured the two disks as RAID 1 and then booted from the OS DVD, then
went into repair, followed by the "Complete PC Restore". The restore process
starts ok but after a moment it stops and tells him the system I am trying to
restore is bigger than the volume I have in my system.

I am really puzzled by it as the disk I backed up was 250GB and the RAID is
composed by 2x250GB.

Any solutions or ideas why this is happening?

Also, one more thing, I did try to "shrink" the initial volume to make it
smaller ( by 50GB!!!) and it made no difference whatsoever, it still tells me
my destinaltion smaller than the source.

Many thanks for your help
alex

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles?&id=29

RAID Explained
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=24

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

[...]

Dave R.

"migration from SATA drive to SATA RAID 1" <migration from SATA drive to
SATA RAID (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
[...]

I don't know if this will help, but RAID 1 is Mirrored Drives, not a
Striped Array, so you only get 1x250GB of space since the second drive
is used as a mirror of the first drive.

Regards,

Dave

migration from SATA drive to SATA RAID 1

Thanks Dave, I think I didn't make it clear in my initial post. My system
came with 2x250GB hard disks, disk 1 has two partitions, a "system" and a
"recovery", the second hard disk has only one partition, called "data".

I removed the disk wth the "data" partition and then I did a Complete PC
Backup of only one disk, the one with the two partitions, "system" and
"recovery". So what I am trying to put back on a mirrored 2x250GB volume is
only one 250GB volume.

In my mind, restoring a 250GB single volume to 250GB RaID 1 volume should
work just fine, but it keeps telling me the destination is smaller than the
source. I did shrink the "source" by 50GB with the result my backup source
was well under 200GB and it still told me the source was too big for the
destination.

I found somewhere through Google an idea that Complete PC Backup can't do
cross restores, ie from single to raid, or raid to single. Is this true? I
find it a bit hard to believe.

So yes, the problem is still there and any help to figure out what's
happening is still very much appreciated.

migration from SATA drive to SATA RAID 1

thanks for the suggestion. I will try, I am a bit concerned with the fact
that to be able to format the drive, I need to initialize and create a
partition. I am not sure if restoring 2 partitions to an already partitioned
hard disk would work.

As far as I am aware, Vista installation could see physical volumes and deal
with them accordingly, like partitioning and formatting.

nevertheless, I am going to try your suggestion

Cheers
alex

migration from SATA drive to SATA RAID 1

Just to recap for anybody who would still like to help,
I have a Complete PC Backup of one 250GB SATA drive (two partitions,
"system" and "recovery") I have set up a RAID 1 volume of 2x250GB. When I try
to do a Complete PC Restore, I keep getting a message saying the destination
drive is too small.

"scrooge" suggested to format the RAID 1 volume first and then do the
Complete PC Restore. Well, I get the same result, destination too small! so
yes, I am still stuck!

Any ideas? Does anybody got a good link to how to migrate from single hard
disk to RAID 1? What I am trying to avoid is reinstalling the whole system
and in my naive opinion, Vista should be able to restore a system backup to
any type of volume, whether RAID or no RAID. So far, I can only restore to a
non-RAID.

Cheers
alex