single IP, multiple domains, how to route to diff machines

J

Joe Blow

I'm running Windows Server 2003 at work and have a single IP. I've registered 2 domains
through dyndns.org to the same IP. I have a
web page using port 80 on the PC that is running Server 2003, and a port 80 service
running on another machine on our network. What I'm
attempting to do is to have each domain name use port 80, yet be able to redirect the
network packets to different machine based upon
what domain name was used. I know about Host Headers for web pages, but my port 80
service running on another machine isn't a web page.
The reason why I'm using port 80 for both is so when employees are at a customer site, we
don't have to worry about the customer's
network blocking ports, because if they have web browing port 80 open, then we can access
our web site or use our port 80 service
remotely.

Does anyone know how to forward traffic in Server 2003 based upon what domain name was
used, not the IP (since we only have 1 IP)? I'm
stuck using IIS 6.0 because I have software that has only been tested with IIS 6.0, and
not Apache.

Thanks ...

J

Joe Blow

I appreciate the help, but that doesn't solve my problem, since it's an internal
networking issue. Let me be more specific:

I have 2 domains registered at dyndns.org, 1.dnsalias.net and 2.dnsalias.net, and both
point to the same IP assigned to my work by the ISP. I want both to be accessible via a
web browser, so they must both use port 80.

I have a DSL modem, a Netgear router, and a Windows 2003 Server. The server is our
company's domain controller. 1.dnsalias.net is a web page running on our server, so I
have IIS 6.0 installed. Let's call this PC "server".

2.dnsalias.net is NOT a web page, but rather a client/server program that uses port 80 to
accept traffic so that it can be accessible at a remote location, so long as the remote
location has port 80 open and isn't filtering URLs you try to access. This port 80
service is running on a different machine in our network; let's call this PC "noweb".

The Netgear router is setup to route port 80 requests to "noweb" internal IP. While this
works for the client/server program, it disables the web page on "server" because all port
80 requests are routed in the Netgear router to "noweb", so "server" never sees port 80
accesses.

What I'm trying to find out is if there is a program I can run on Windows 2003 Server that
will work with IIS 6.0 so that I can tell it "if a request comes in port 80 via
2.dnsalias.net, then redirect this request to the noweb internal IP, otherwise let server
handle it". It's like taking the Port Forwarding functionality out of the Netgear router
and putting it in software that I'll run on "server". I can then remove Port Forwarding
of port 80 from the Netgear router. Again, 2.dnsalias.net is NOT a web page.

Ask a Question