Shuttle Desktop with Linux

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've just been reading about the new Shuttle LinuXPC SD3002Q 500. It comes with Linux already installed and is priced at £460 (according to the article). It contains Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 processor, 1 GB memory and a 250 GB HD. You can read on here.

Not thinking of buying, but thought some folk might be interested :)

Reaction score
the links broken for me taffycat! :(

and thats quite a reasonable price, does it include a monitor etc?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Link (both of them) work ok for me.

I think if you were the kind of person who was going to use Linux you'd probably install it yourself anyway but it's a nice idea.

There really is no problem installing Linux as a stand alone system, the only problems usually encountered are when a user tries a dual boot with Windows but even that is really hard to mess up with current Distros.

I like Suse as a Linux Distro but it doesn't come with many codecs which means it won't play audio CD's or DVD movies straight out of the box.

There are ways round this but a user would need at least some slight savvy to do it.

An odd concept but encouraging nonetheless.

By far the best way, in my opinion, to enjoy Linux (if you're a Linux novice like me) is to have a seperate machine with a hard disk caddy and several hard drives you can swap in and out. This way you can use as many OS's as you like and if you mess one up it's not a total disaster.

This machine could be a shuttle and you could share the monitor/speakers/keyboard/mouse with your main machine via a KVM switch.

Which just happens to be what I'm doing :D

But not with a shuttle, just one of my old socket A machines. At the moment only have Win 98; PC Linux OS2007; and XP Pro SP2 on seperate disks but do have two spare disks atm for trying some more Linux Distros.

I was actually thinking about installing Win 95 and seeing if I could play Little Big Adventure 2 on it but I figure I'd have a problem with drivers.

Might just try it though. First I'd have to use those 17 (I think) win 3.1 floppies and then use my Win 95 upgrade disk. I may just try it, just for the heck of it :)

I'm waffling, ain't I? ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Link (both of them) work ok for me.

Phew! That's good :)

floppybootstomp said:
I'm waffling, ain't I? ;)

Not at all, your observations are interesting:nod:

So... would it also be fair to say that being a small format PC (little more than a cube really) that it wouldn't be so likely to have "cooling issues" if it is running Linux instead of Windows? Just wondering, because when we were trying to decide which PCs to purchase last year, we considered buying the space-saving ones, until, that is, we saw them on display in a high street store. They felt every bit as hot as the laptops we were aiming to replace, so knowing that my aim was to crunch, we stuck to the conventional sized towers.
(However, one of these days, if I can create a bit more space here, I am tempted to experiment with Linux on an ancient laptop which used to run like a toaster ;) )

user.gif

Ask a Question