Shutdown and Restart Problems

Clayton

Hi, Just clean installed XP and now I am having problems shutting down or
restarting.
I would atempt to do either or and my icons by the clock would all dissapear
but nothing else happens, to successfully shutdown or restart, I have to do
it once more from Start/Turn Off Computer

db

try booting in safemode
and see if you notice a
difference.

while in safemode, what
is the size of your virtual
memory/pagefile?

if you are accessing the net
now via this same dysfunctional
pc, then bootup instead in
safemode w/networking
so that you can send and receive postings
from us...

- db
Hi, Just clean installed XP and now I am having problems shutting down or
restarting.
I would atempt to do either or and my icons by the clock would all dissapear
but nothing else happens, to successfully shutdown or restart, I have to do
it once more from Start/Turn Off Computer

Clayton

Pagefile in safemode is 2GB, I restarted into safemode and it did it the first time ok, strange.
I'll give it a few more tries and post back soon
cheers

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message try booting in safemode
and see if you notice a
difference.

while in safemode, what
is the size of your virtual
memory/pagefile?

if you are accessing the net
now via this same dysfunctional
pc, then bootup instead in
safemode w/networking
so that you can send and receive postings
from us...

- db
Hi, Just clean installed XP and now I am having problems shutting down or
restarting.
I would atempt to do either or and my icons by the clock would all dissapear
but nothing else happens, to successfully shutdown or restart, I have to do
it once more from Start/Turn Off Computer

db

uh, pagefile may
be toooo biggggg....

how much ram do you have?

- db
[...]

2GB Memory, the restart seems to be ok, just having problems with shutdown

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message uh, pagefile may
be toooo biggggg....

how much ram do you have?

- db
[...]

yeh, it's likely
to be trying to clear it.

that much ram, you don't really need
the pagefile. The pagefile is
a tool to swap the memory between
disk and chip. Hence
it's called a swap file.

try to simply turn off the
pagefile. I think you
will notice a big difference.

- db
[...]

R. McCarty

Don't turn it off, simply reduce it's minimum size to something more
realistic like 512/2000. Turning off the Pagefile is pointless, XP will
automatically create a Temporary one on the next boot. Paging is an
essential component/structure of Windows and applications.

For resolving issues with Shutdown one thing is to add the Microsoft
add-on service "User Hive Profile Cleanup" and secondly check the
Application/System Event logs for errors. Pagefile sizing would not be
the cause of the OP's problem even if they enabled "Clear Pagefile at
Shutdown" in the Registry.
User Profile Hive Cleanup found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&DisplayLang=en

[...]

"User Hive Profile Cleanup" didn't seem to work and checking the event
viewer gave me this message

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: USER32

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1073

Date: 20/03/2007

Time: 9:49:31 AM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer: DESKTOP

The attempt to power off DESKTOP failed

0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

R. McCarty

Event ID 1073 has a very generic type of description, could be a
3rd-Party application or driver at fault. Since you said this was a
new XP install I'd probably update/add the appropriate Chipset
driver package for your motherboard. XP doesn't always find &
install system level drivers especially for Intel SMBus components.
I'd also closely check Device Manager for the presence of the
"Other" category where unknown devices get placed.

Have you obtained the post SP2 70+ Windows updates yet ?

Clayton

Already installed the chipset drivers and all of the Windows Updates
Why would it restart ok but not shutdown? a restart is terminating
everything isn't it?

Clayton

For 2GB of memory you suggest I set my paging file size to

Initial size = 512
Maximum size = 2000

R. McCarty

The Pagefile only has to equal physical RAM for a full dump
of memory contents for debugging purposes. All I was saying is
the recommendation to turn off the Pagefile isn't a good idea. Your
PC has more than adequate RAM and it's doubtful you'll ever see
much Pagefile activity beyond 60-100 MBytes - UNLESS you
load the machine heavily ( VPC, Ripping DVDs, Video editing...).
It hurts nothing to leave the Pagefile as System managed and using
the mirror value of Physical RAM. You can use Perfmon.Msc to
monitor the Pagefile traffic. The machine I'm using now has 2.0 Gig
of RAM and a minimum Pagefile size of 1.0 Gigabyte. The last time
I checked Pagefile usage, the counter showed only 3.8% used or
just under 41 Megabytes. Even heavily loaded the Pagefile usage
counter rarely goes beyond 20% of that 1.0 Gigabyte.

If you reduce the Pagefile size, it might be helpful to change the
advanced System setting to not perform a "Full Dump" but use one
of the other smaller sized options (Kernel or Small Dump modes).

Clayton

I turn off dumping, not a good idea?

R. McCarty said:
[...]

I turn it off as well. Since I almost "Never" have a crash or BSOD
there's little reason to capture or use memory dumps. But I wouldn't
globally recommend turning it off. It can on occasion be helpful.

Windows is a platform, a very customizable platform - what works
for one person may not be the best for others. That ability to customize
is what makes Windows XP such a good OS.