Show Desktop Icon stopped working

0

01steven

My Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch bar is no longer working.
I've deleted it and recreated it (using a couple of different
methods).
No matter how I recreate it, when I press it nothing happens.
This is really bugging me and could really appreciate someone's help
to solve this!
Many thanks.

Stefan Z Camilleri

My Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch bar is no longer working.
I've deleted it and recreated it (using a couple of different
methods).
No matter how I recreate it, when I press it nothing happens.
This is really bugging me and could really appreciate someone's help
to solve this!
Many thanks.

If you right click your taskbar, there should be a 'Show Desktop'
option there, does that work?

The usual way for restoring the show desktop shortcut is to create a
simple text file, call it something like showdesktop.scf (the
important part is the .scf) and write the following inside it

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

That would generally do the trick

Open Notepad
Type in the following five lines
[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop
Now go to File --> Save As...
Browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32 (for WinXP) or C:\WINNT\system32 (for Win2000
or NT)
Name the file "Show Desktop.scf" (remove the file extension ".txt" if
notepad adds it, as the file will not work if it is named Show
Desktop.scf.txt)
Now create a shortcut to this file (by right clicking it at the location you
just saved it to, and selecting create shortcut)
Move this new shortcut to your Quick Launch bar.

0

01steven

Thanks for your help. This has certainly recreated the icon, but once
again it doesn't work.
However I can confirm that right-clicking on the task bar does bring
up 'Show the Desktop' and this DOES work.
Can anyone help me please???

Stefan Z Camilleri

Thanks for your help. This has certainly recreated the icon, but once
again it doesn't work.
However I can confirm that right-clicking on the task bar does bring
up 'Show the Desktop' and this DOES work.
Can anyone help me please???

Very well, then it probably is the case that your PC has somehow lost
the .scf association (i.e. it doesn't know how to handle the file)

Download and uncompress the registry fix, then simply double-click the
extracted reg file and accept the prompt.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/scf_assoc_fix.zip

Should do the trick :blush:)

0

01steven

Very well, then it probably is the case that your PC has somehow lost
the .scf association (i.e. it doesn't know how to handle the file)

Download and uncompress the registry fix, then simply double-click the
extracted reg file and accept the prompt.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/scf_assoc_fix.zip

Should do the trick :blush:)

Thanks - have got the file, unzipped it, but it just opens up a text
file in notepad. What should I do with it?

Stefan Z Camilleri

Thanks - have got the file, unzipped it, but it just opens up a text
file in notepad. What should I do with it?

You need to import that file into your registry.

Click on start>run and type regedit

Then import it from the file menu

0

01steven

Brilliant - all working now!
Thanks very much..

Thanks - have got the file, unzipped it, but it just opens up a text
file in notepad. What should I do with it?

Joined
Jul 31, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Thanks

Hi,

I just wanted to pass on my thanks for this great tip. I used TuneUp Utilities 2008 and I think I inadvertently wiped those settings, but now I can breathe easily again :)