Short Cut Disappeared

My short cut is gone and I can't restore it.

I went under the start menu and IE isn't listed in the programs either - so
I can't create another. I have checked for spyware - ran adware, yahoo
spyware and MS spyware - all came up with nothing. I also went to two sites
that check browsers and it said no infection was found.

I tried to download and reinstall and it would not allow me - saying that a
more current version exists on my machine.

When I click on a link, IE opens. As a work around, I created a short cut
to my home page from the open browser, but evertime I click on the short cut,
it doesn't open a new window - just opens my home page setting over the last
page I had open.

Any help is welcome.

Did you check your Recycle Bin for the deleted shortcut? You can restore it
from there. If you have emptied your Recycle Bin, try the following:

Right-click on My Computer, scroll to C: drive. Expand the C: drive by
clicking on the + sign. Look for the Programs folder and expand that by
clicking on the + sign. Look for the Internet Explorer folder. You should
find the executable in that folder. Right click on it and send it to your
desktop.

Thanks for the help.

It's not in the recycle bin and I can not locate the executable file in
Folder in the C: Drive. Could it be somewhere else?

Don Varnau

Hi,
For Windows XP...
Go to Control Panel> Add/remove programs> Add/remove Windows components> put
a check
by IE. OK your way out. Restart.

You may also have to go into "set program access & defaults and make choices
regarding "Default" and "Enable access."

You may also have to go into Display properties> Desktop> Customize to check
IE under Desktop icons.
- - - -
For Windows 9x...
Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> Check "Show IE on the desktop."
- - - -
With either method, you should be able to drag an IE icon to the Quicklaunch
Bar or Start Button, if necessary.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"MichiganDave26" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Thanks Don.

This worked:

Don Varnau said:
[...]

You're welcome. Thanks for letting me know.

Don

"MichiganDave26" wrote in message
Thanks Don.

This worked:
You may also have to go into Display properties> Desktop> Customize to check
IE under Desktop icons.
[snip]