Sharing violation

Michael Hoffmann

Hello,

we have a problem with Excel ????? running on Windows XP. We have a file on a Novell network drive that can be accessed from
different workstations. From time to time the message "Sharing violation. The file is stored under a temporary filename in which the
changes will be saved...." appears upon saving the excel workbook. Unfortunately I can't give you the exact wording of the message
because it happens in a french installation of Excel.

Why can this error happen? Normally you receive a message if a file is already in use which tells you that you cannot open the file
for write access.

Thank you very much,

M. Hoffmann

Jim Rech

When Excel saves over an existing workbook it first saves with a temporary
name. If all goes well it will then delete the original file and rename the
temporary. So users need save, rename and delete rights on a network to
save over an existing file. Make sure they have all these rights.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Michael Hoffmann" <m.hoffmann AT compar.cc> wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| we have a problem with Excel ????? running on Windows XP. We have a file
on a Novell network drive that can be accessed from
| different workstations. From time to time the message "Sharing violation.
The file is stored under a temporary filename in which the
| changes will be saved...." appears upon saving the excel workbook.
Unfortunately I can't give you the exact wording of the message
| because it happens in a french installation of Excel.
|
| Why can this error happen? Normally you receive a message if a file is
already in use which tells you that you cannot open the file
| for write access.
|
| Thank you very much,
|
| M. Hoffmann

Michael Hoffmann

Hello Jim,

thaks for your reply. All rights are granted. The problem starts, as we found out, when the Excel table is opened. Sometimes
Excel does not recognize that someone else has the file already. I know it sounds odd, but we experience the problem when the file
was opened via a router network connection and is re-opend from a workstation on the LAN. Then no message appears that the file is
open already.

Any ideas?

Michael.

Jim Rech

I haven't personally seen this problem. Searching the MS Knowledgebase for
"Novell" I found these two articles. FWIW:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824424&Product=xlw

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182671&Product=xlw

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Michael Hoffmann" <m.hoffmann AT compar.cc> wrote in message
| Hello Jim,
|
| thaks for your reply. All rights are granted. The problem starts, as we
found out, when the Excel table is opened. Sometimes
| Excel does not recognize that someone else has the file already. I know it
sounds odd, but we experience the problem when the file
| was opened via a router network connection and is re-opend from a
workstation on the LAN. Then no message appears that the file is
| open already.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Michael.

Michael Hoffmann

Hello Jim,

Thank you very much. I checked both articles. Unfortunately they don't apply.

Best regards,

Michael Hoffmann