Shared Contacts - cannot find in OE 6 & Outlook 2002

Don S.

Hi
Just purchased a new Laptop with MS XP 5.1. I installed MS Office Pro 2002
with Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.
The OE on the laptop is 6.00.29.

I have copied all my addresses, etc from the desk top to the lap top, but to
OE only. It works fine in OE in both.

I would like to share the address book between OE and Outlook, just like on
my desktop, so that I can synch my Palm Pilot and have all PC with the same
addresses. (Win XP Pro 5.1. Outlook 2002, OE 6.00.26)

Problems:

1. On my PC in can go to OE - Address Book - Tools - Options and select
"share contacts" -- on the Lap top I cannot find such a feature.

2. When I open Outlook I get: Unable to open email folders --- and all
the Folder Lists are not there (Notes, Contacts, Inbox, Tasks, etc.)

How do I fix these two problems??

Thanks

Don

Brian Tillman

Don S. said:
1. On my PC in can go to OE - Address Book - Tools - Options and
select "share contacts" -- on the Lap top I cannot find such a
feature.

Are you using Outlook 2000 in Internet Mail Only mode on the desktop?
2. When I open Outlook I get: Unable to open email folders --- and
all the Folder Lists are not there (Notes, Contacts, Inbox, Tasks,
etc.)

You haven't properly configured a mail profile on the laptop. Do this in
Control Panel's Mail applet.

Don S.

HI

SEE MY NOTES BELOW.

THANKS

DON
1. On my PC in can go to OE - Address Book - Tools - Options and
select "share contacts" -- on the Lap top I cannot find such a
feature.

Are you using Outlook 2000 in Internet Mail Only mode on the desktop?

I DO NOT USE OUTLOOK FOR MY MAIL - I USE HOTMAIL/OE - ONLY TO ALLOW ME SYNCH
WITH MY PALM PILOT.

NOT DO NOT KNOW HOW OR WHERE TO MAKE THE CHANGE.

THE TROUBLE IS THAT I CANNOT MAKE THE ADDRESS BOOK TO SHARE BETWEEN OE AND
OUTLOOK.

SIMILARLY ALL THE PALM SYNCH -- NOTES, TASKS, ETC. DO NOT SYNCH.

2. When I open Outlook I get: Unable to open email folders --- and
all the Folder Lists are not there (Notes, Contacts, Inbox, Tasks,
etc.)

You haven't properly configured a mail profile on the laptop. Do this in
Control Panel's Mail applet.

I HAVE TRIED TO DO THIS IN THE CP MAIL APPLET, BUT IT DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO
DO ANYTHING

Brian Tillman

Don S. said:
I DO NOT USE OUTLOOK FOR MY MAIL - I USE HOTMAIL/OE - ONLY TO ALLOW
ME SYNCH WITH MY PALM PILOT.

First, lose the caps lock. Typing in all caps is considered shouting.

You still didn't answer my question. Is OL 2000 installed in IMO or in CW
mode? Click Help>About in Outlook and the second line will tell you.
NOT DO NOT KNOW HOW OR WHERE TO MAKE THE CHANGE.

What change? I didn't suggest any change.
THE TROUBLE IS THAT I CANNOT MAKE THE ADDRESS BOOK TO SHARE BETWEEN OE AND
OUTLOOK.

With Outlook 2000 in IMO mode, it's straight-forward, but you haven't said
whether that's what you have or not.
I HAVE TRIED TO DO THIS IN THE CP MAIL APPLET, BUT IT DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO
DO ANYTHING

Define "does not allow". Do you get an error message? If so, what is the
exact text of the error?

Don S.

Hi

Sorry for shouting --- I just tried to distinguish my notes from your notes.
But here is what I found:

1. Now, when opening OL on Laptop gives me a window: No profiles have
been created. When connected to the WEB it states now: Cannot start MS
Outlook, Unable to Open Outlook window, Server not available,...... when I
click OK it gives me an other window: Cannot Start Outlook. Unable to Open
window, The server is not available, Contact your administrator... When I
click OK it turns Outlook OFF. This is not what it used to do --- it did
allow me to open OL in some mode I do not remember anymore.

2. Before I did something (??) on my laptop, I was able to open OL 2000
and go to Help>About>System Info (2nd line) but I could not find anything
about IMO or CW. I must have misunderstood your instructions below.

3. I thought that you had suggested that I should be in IMO mode..... so
I tried to find and make the change.

4. Going to Control Panel>Mail(MS Outlook Profiles) on Laptop, opens a
General page with "The following profiles...." square blank. Going to ADD
and clicking on it, NOTHING happens. The profile text below is checked off
for: "Prompt for a profile to be used" but I cannot make any additions, etc.
in this screen.

5. On my desk top I do not use Outlook for Mail. On both I use Outlook
Express!

6. Note that Outlook is 2002 not 2000! The lap top has MS XP 2002 Home
Edition, SP 2, XP 5.1.26 -- I installed MS Office Pro 2002,with Outlook,
Excel, Word, etc. The OE on the laptop is 6.00.29.

Thanks

Don S

Don S.

Hi again
I just found out that on my PC, when I open Mail in CP, I get a totally
different screen then on my Lap Top!
This is probably what you were referring to.
On the Desk Top I get a screen called "Mail Setup Outlook: -- on the Laptop
I get "Mail" with a General Tab.

Don S

Don S.

Hi

Well I just decided to reinstall Outlook -- and voila -- it all appears to
be working.

Thanks

Don S>

Brian Tillman

Don S. said:
1. Now, when opening OL on Laptop gives me a window: No profiles
have been created. When connected to the WEB it states now: Cannot
start MS Outlook, Unable to Open Outlook window, Server not
available,...... when I click OK it gives me an other window: Cannot
Start Outlook. Unable to Open window, The server is not available,
Contact your administrator... When I click OK it turns Outlook OFF.
This is not what it used to do --- it did allow me to open OL in some
mode I do not remember anymore.

Have you tried repairing the installation in Start>Control Panel>Add and
Remove Programs?
6. Note that Outlook is 2002 not 2000! The lap top has MS XP
2002 Home Edition, SP 2, XP 5.1.26 -- I installed MS Office Pro
2002,with Outlook, Excel, Word, etc. The OE on the laptop is 6.00.29.

D'Oh! What was I thinking?! I though sure I had seen OL 2000 in a prior
post, but I obviously did not. If the Mail applet in Control Panel won't
work, you really should reinstall Outlook.