Share a calendar

I have 3 XP Pro machines in a workgroup and they all have Office 2003, is
there anyway to share their calendars between the
3 users without having to deploy Exchange?

Thanks Craig

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Craig,

As we know, we can use Net Folders to share the Calendars in Outlook 2000.
However, Net Folders is no longer supported in Outlook 2002/2003. Since we
received many customers' feedbacks, which indicated the function may not
work in certain circumstance, and the troubleshooting is quite complex if a
Net Folders problem occurs, we remove it from Outlook 2002. You may refer
to the More Information section for detailed information. I appreciate your
understanding.

Although we can no longer use "Net Folders" in Outlook 2003 to share your
calendar with other Outlook users, I would like to give you some other
suggestions.

Suggestion 1
==========
You can publish the Outlook calendar information as a Web page and
distribute it to other users on the Internet. Then, other users can view
your calendar information.

For more information about how to publish Outlook calendar information as a
web page, please refer to the following Knowledge Base article:

Q292814 OL2002: How to Publish Your Outlook Calendar as a Web Page (it also
applies for Outlook 2003)
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q292/8/14.asp

Suggestion 2
==========
Since Outlook stores its data in the .PST files on your hard disk, you can
export your calendar information to a .PST file, and transfer the .PST file
to other users on the Internet.

For more information, please refer to the following Knowledge Base articles:

291627 OL2002: How to Manage a PST File for Two Different Computers (it
also applies for Outlook 2003)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291627

Q287070 OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data (it also
applies for Outlook 2003)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q287070/

Suggestion 3
==========
We can use MSN Calendar to share calendar information. For more information
about MSN Calendar, please visit the following web site:

http://calendar.msn.com/calendar.html

Suggestion 4
==========
Note: The third-party product is manufactured by vendors independent of
Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding their
products' performance or reliability.

There are some third-party solutions that may help you share your Outlook
calendar information. For your convenience, I have listed some popular web
sites below:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2001/04/02/smallb5.html

More Information
=============
From a technical standpoint, it is not recommended to use the Net folder
feature with Internet email accounts; there will be many potentials
problems. Below are the reasons:

1. The net folder feature requires TNEF encoding to be understood correctly
by an Internet e-mail recipient who also uses Outlook. When we send emails
to the Internet, it is not uncommon for a mail server to strip out TNEF
information from mail messages as it delivers them. If a server option to
remove TNEF is turned on, clients will always receive a plain text version
of the message. Microsoft Exchange Server is an example of a mail server
application that has the option to remove TNEF from messages.

Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format (TNEF) is a Microsoft proprietary
method for encoding Rich Text Format (RTF) messages sent across the
Internet. A TNEF-encoded message contains a plain text version of the
message, an attachment that contains the RTF version, and any OLE objects
such as pictures or other attachments that were sent with the message.

2. Due to the unsteady performance of Internet, we do not recommend share
net folders through Internet email. However, we believe in the future, when
RTF format become more popular, we can share folders through Internet
without limitation.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Share a calendar
| Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 07:47:01 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| Hi,
| I have 3 XP Pro machines in a workgroup and they all have Office 2003, is
| there anyway to share their calendars between the
| 3 users without having to deploy Exchange?
|
| Thanks Craig

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Craig,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know. I am glad to be of assistance. :)

> [...]

| message, an attachment that contains the RTF version, and any OLE objects
| such as pictures or other attachments that were sent with the message.
|
| 2. Due to the unsteady performance of Internet, we do not recommend share
| net folders through Internet email. However, we believe in the future,
when
| RTF format become more popular, we can share folders through Internet
| without limitation.
|
| If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
| hesitate to contact me.
|
| Sincerely,
|
| Emily Lin,
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| ======================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| |
| | Hi,
| | I have 3 XP Pro machines in a workgroup and they all have Office 2003,
is
| | there anyway to share their calendars between the
| | 3 users without having to deploy Exchange?
| |
| | Thanks Craig
| |
| |