SFC

Bob

Running Vista home premium.
I have run SFC from the Command Prompt. It reports that some files are
corrupt but that Windows cannot repair them. I dont seem to be able to work
out how to access the Windows CBS log files in order to pursue the matter
or at least see what files are corrupt. Access is denied! I have tried to
follow the Microsoft article to get acces but without success. A step by
step approach would be much appreciated.

Bob

dean-dean

To open the entire cbs.log, try right-clicking on Notepad, and then choose
Run as Administrator. Then use File > Open to navigate to the log. Since
the log may be huge (it's used by other programs besides the SFC), you might
want to do this:

To create relevant SFC-only information gleaned from the cbs.log, and put it
in a small file called sfcdetails.txt, right-click Command Prompt (using the
shortcut in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories) and choose Run as
Administrator. By default, the prompt starts
in C:\Users\(Your Name). Type:

cd desktop

Press Enter on your keyboard. Then Copy and Paste this at the prompt:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Press Enter. Sfcdetails.txt should then appear on your Desktop.

Looking at entries for the latest date in that
text file , what files are noted as being problematic?

Bob

Thanks for your reply. When I open the Command prompt as administrator its
default is c:\windows\system32. If I input cd desktop nothing happens it
simply stays at the default. Similarly when I copy and paste your other
instruction. What am I doing wrong.

Bob

Bob said:
Running Vista home premium.
I have run SFC from the Command Prompt. It reports that some files are
corrupt but that Windows cannot repair them. I dont seem to be able to
work out how to access the Windows CBS log files in order to pursue the
matter or at least see what files are corrupt. Access is denied! I have
tried to follow the Microsoft article to get acces but without success.
A step by step approach would be much appreciated.

Bob

dean-dean

Well, my instructions were for when you start Command Prompt from Start
Menu\Programs\Accessories. By opening Command Prompt from
c:\windows\system32, though, running my last command should have created the
file sfcdetails.txt under c:\windows\system32. You could look there for the
file by that name.

Bob said:
Running Vista home premium.
I have run SFC from the Command Prompt. It reports that some files are
corrupt but that Windows cannot repair them. I dont seem to be able to
work out how to access the Windows CBS log files in order to pursue the
matter or at least see what files are corrupt. Access is denied! I
have tried to follow the Microsoft article to get acces but without
success. A step by step approach would be much appreciated.

Bob

Bob

Thanks again your reply. I found the sfcdetails.txt in the system32 folder.
It tells me the files it was unable to repair. How would you go about
repairing them seeing that windows can't.
This is one of the things that puzzles me about windows, there always
seems to be a dozen different ways to acheive the same end. Such are the
mysteries of it!

Bob

dean-dean said:
[...]

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello dean-dean
Opening a cmd prompt as elevated always defaults to the \windows\system32
folder rather than the users folder
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "dean-dean" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: SFC
|> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 08:09:46 -0500
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Well, my instructions were for when you start Command Prompt from Start
|> Menu\Programs\Accessories. By opening Command Prompt from
|> c:\windows\system32, though, running my last command should have created
the
|> file sfcdetails.txt under c:\windows\system32. You could look there for
the
|> file by that name.

|> > its default is c:\windows\system32. If I input cd desktop nothing
happens
|> > it simply stays at the default. Similarly when I copy and paste your
|> > other instruction. What am I doing wrong.
|> >
|> > Bob

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Bob,
What files are corrupted?
can you post the results of sfcdetails.txt

You would have to manually copy the files.

There was a link posted in this thread with directions on how to gain
access to the files and copy them.
From: =?Utf-8?B?dXZib2dkZW4=?= <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: SFC - System File Checker - won't correct faults it found
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 22:56:01 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "Bob" <[email protected]>
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|> Subject: Re: SFC
|> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:33:07 GMT
|>
|> Thanks again your reply. I found the sfcdetails.txt in the system32
folder.
|> It tells me the files it was unable to repair. How would you go about
|> repairing them seeing that windows can't.
|> This is one of the things that puzzles me about windows, there always
|> seems to be a dozen different ways to acheive the same end. Such are
the
|> mysteries of it!
|>
|> Bob

|> > Menu\Programs\Accessories. By opening Command Prompt from
|> > c:\windows\system32, though, running my last command should have
created
|> > the
|> > file sfcdetails.txt under c:\windows\system32. You could look there
for
|> > the
|> > file by that name.

AndrewB

scannow reported some problem for me but when I try
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
a window does a transient flash. Search C:\ does not find sfcdetails.txt.
I don't see a prob in CBS.LOG but I don't know what I'm looking for.
[Original prob = my post "SFC, CBS"]
Pointers appreciated.
Andrew

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Andrew

Are you entering this command into an elevated command prompt with your
Desktop as the current directory?

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories, right click the 'Command Prompt'
and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.

In the command window, type: cd\users\username\desktop

(where 'username' is the name of the account you are logged on with)

Press Enter

Type: findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Press Enter

This should place the sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop.