Setup project problem

Tony Vitonis

In my solution's Setup project, I'm adding a folder to the user's
Start Menu, and putting a couple of shortcuts in it. When I use
Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the application, the shortcuts are
deleted, but the folder stays there. Any thoughts on how I can cause
the folder to be deleted as well? Thanks.

Todd Derksen [MSFT]

Tony I could not repro this, could you include some more information about this issue?
What OS are you running on?
What version of Visual Studio?
What are the properties of the folder that you created?

------
Todd Derksen - VBQA Deployment Testing
| From: Tony Vitonis <[email protected]>
| Subject: Setup project problem
| Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 20:13:48 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
|
| In my solution's Setup project, I'm adding a folder to the user's
| Start Menu, and putting a couple of shortcuts in it. When I use
| Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the application, the shortcuts are
| deleted, but the folder stays there. Any thoughts on how I can cause
| the folder to be deleted as well? Thanks.

Todd Derksen [MSFT]

Tony I could not repro this, could you include some more information about this issue?
What OS are you running on?
What version of Visual Studio?
What are the properties of the folder that you created?

------
Todd Derksen - VBQA Deployment Testing
| From: Tony Vitonis <[email protected]>
| Subject: Setup project problem
| Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 20:13:48 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
|
| In my solution's Setup project, I'm adding a folder to the user's
| Start Menu, and putting a couple of shortcuts in it. When I use
| Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the application, the shortcuts are
| deleted, but the folder stays there. Any thoughts on how I can cause
| the folder to be deleted as well? Thanks.

Tom Leylan

Hi Todd,

Some of us are wondering why just about every response from an MSFT account
includes the entire message header in the response. So far the only answer
to our query has been one that misinterpreted it to mean "quoting the
message contents" which is of course "common." What is atypical is
repeating the entire message "header" as in your response. See the
difference between my response to you, other people's responses to each
other and the MSFT responses?

See this?
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

Nobody else quotes all this stuff. It borders on incredible that every MSFT
posting includes it. Is something in your newsreader setup wrong? Or
perhaps we need to modify ours in order to likewise echo all this.

It is so curious because only MSFT personnel are doing this and they do it
consistently. Any ideas, first what causes it and second how to stop it?
The quality of a response can be adversely affected by a dozen extraneous
lines of unrelated "stuff" don't you agree?

Tom

Tom Leylan

Thanks David,

Since it is only the "default" it is possible to change the behavior right?
I'm not suggesting that you do (though it looks like you might have) but
doesn't it look like extraneous information? In that case it would seem
sensible if the MSFT-folk turned the feature off. If it helped anything I'd
suggest we all turn it on but (at least to me) it doesn't appear to make the
response any clearer.

Thanks for responding...

Tony Vitonis

I'm on Windows XP with VS 2003, version 7.1.3088, and .Net Framework
version 1.1.4322. I didn't do anything to change the properties of
the folder I created in the IDE; it's not hidden or anything.

Thanks for your help.

--> From: (e-mail address removed)

Todd Derksen [MSFT]

Tony, I still could not repro this on my machine but I found mention of a similiar problem occuring on Windows NT. There are ways to solve this, you can
create a script that deletes the folder and run it as a custom action on your uninstall step. This is by no means an ideal solution but it should work for you. If
this does not work for you please respond to this thread and we will figure out something that will.

------