setting permissions for specific users

G

Hi. Thanks to this forum, I recently learned how to implement a VPN in order to file share between two of my computers at different locations. From the client computer, I log on to the host computer with my Username and password from my account on the host computer. With the sharing and security permissions set to Everyone, everything works great. I tried to set up the sharing and security permissions for my Username only, but then my client computer says I do not have access. It seems that I can log in fine when the permissions are set to Everyone. But when I remove the Everyone permissions and create only the permissions for my Username, I don't have access. Even though I clearly have access with that username and password, because I can log on to the host computer with those credentials. I want to set up permissions to allow only my username, because I am afraid who can access the shared folders when the Everyone permissions are set to full control - the way I need them to be set. Thank you for any help. And thanks for helping me set up the VPN! - Jason

G

Is your account apart of the Administrator Group? If not, you may have denied your account access when you modified the permissions in the Everyone Group.

G

Yes, my username is part of the Administrators group. Even so, I would like to get rid of the Everyone permissions, and just have permissions set up for my username. It seems that when I delete the Everyone group, even though I have set up permissions for my username, I can't access the folder.

Ask a Question