Setting NIC Permissions?

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

I have two boxes with clean installs of w2k. One has a D-Link wireless
NIC, the other a Linksys wireless NIC. On both machines, only users with
Administrator permissions can access the NIC's -- others, like Standard
users, cannot -- the NIC's are offline. I'm the amateur administrator of
this home network, but can't figure out how to give the kids (Standard
users) permission to access the NICs. D-Link and Linksys would not offer
help, stating that this was an O/S issue. Yet I can't find any
information on setting permissions for network adapters anywhere.

Steven Umbach

In Windows 2000 you must be an administrator to manage network connections.
Windows XP has a new network configuration users group that will allow regular
users to manage most network configuration. --- Steve

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

I *am* the administrator. I need a hint on how to manage network
connections so that Standard users can use the NIC to access the
network. Can't seem to find the controls.

Steven L Umbach

One network configuration is set up correctly by an administrator, regular users have
no reason to access network connection properties as the network card configuration
will be the same no matter who is logged on. --- Steve

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

But I want my Standard Users to be able to access the network, i.e., the
Internet, etc., when logged on. I can do it while logged on as
Administrator. If I log off as Administrator then log on as a Standard
user, the NIC becomes inactive, I can't ping the router, etc. Log back
on as Administrator, and bingo -- I can access the Internet again.

How can I tell Win2k to let standard and other non-Admin users use the
NIC? Or do I have to give make all users administrators to let them
access the Internet through the NIC? This doesn't make sense.

Steven L Umbach

There are no permissions for network adapters use which leads me to believe
it is a configuration issue of some sort. Log on as the regular user and
view the configuration [wireless properties such as network ID, channel, wep
key, etc.] of the nic to see that it matches when you are logged on. You may
need to temporarily add the other user account to the local administrators
group to do any changes. --- Steve

Steven said:
There are no permissions for network adapters use which leads me to believe
it is a configuration issue of some sort. Log on as the regular user and
view the configuration [wireless properties such as network ID, channel, wep
key, etc.] of the nic to see that it matches when you are logged on. You may
need to temporarily add the other user account to the local administrators
group to do any changes. --- Steve

Which is what I've finally had to do. But I don't like having teenage
boys with Admin priviliges on my home/home-office network. They have the
brains of weasels.

I wish it was as simple as the config of the wireless NIC, as you
suggest, but there's no diff to the settings as a function of who's
logged on. On the machine with the D-Link NIC, you even get an error
after logging on, something like "WMON Error" while all the system tray
apps are loading.

You know, I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that both
machines were previously Win98 boxes, and were running wireless NICs
before I did the w2k clean install. I am not a w2k wizard, but I notice
that even the "clean install" option retains some old setting: users
(sort of), etc., from the 98 setup.

Question: if a fellow has a computer on the desk over there, and a Win2k
Pro CD in his hand, what would be his most efective way to wipe the hard
drive and do a really clean install -- so none of the w2k or w98 stuff
was carried over? I would like to reformat the hard drive, but I don't
know what it would take, boot-floppy-wise to start the w2k install.
Could someone point me to a Guide For Dummies?

Steven L Umbach

I still am a bit amazed that you need to be an administrator to use a wireless nic.
But to answer your question about a clean install, though I doubt that will fix your
problem, see the KB link below. The easiest way is to boot from the install cdrom and
go from there as described in the article. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304868

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
regular users have

Another option is to build a Win98 boot floppy with fdisk.exe. Boot the
system from the floppy, run fdisk, delete the existing HDD partition(s) and
create (a) new one(s). Format the new partition. You want to make sure
EVERYTHING is gone? This is the best way.

Then simply re-boot from the CD. Let the Win2K setup reformat the partition
again in NTFS (as opposed to FAT32), and install away.

"being the smartest window-licker on the shortbus doesn't make you a genius"
By the way, I'm petty and snide.

Dumbass Dentistry -
it's all fun and games until vegetation starts growing in someone's
pulmonary valved conduit.

[...]

I, too, am puzzled why I have to be an administrator to use the NICs.

To confirm this, I took one of the machines and upgraded the privileges
of the kid that will be using it to administrative level and hey presto!
he can use the NIC, ping the router, etc.

On the second machine, I did a total re-format of the HD and
clean-clean install of W2k, on the the theory that my issues were
brought over from the previous w98 config information.

The answer is not definitive, but this machine, which previously had the
same behavior as the first, no longer acts so oddly: all users can use
the NIC.

What I have to do is clear. Why I have to do it is not.

Thank you, Steven, you have been very helpful.

Steven said:
[...]

message

Steven L Umbach wrote:

One network configuration is set up correctly by an
administrator,

regular users have

no reason to access network connection properties as the
network card

configuration

will be the same no matter who is logged on. --- Steve

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
in message

Steven Umbach wrote:

In Windows 2000 you must be an administrator to manage
network

connections.

Windows XP has a new network configuration users group
that will allow

regular

users to manage most network configuration. --- Steve

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
<[email protected]>

x said:
Another option is to build a Win98 boot floppy with fdisk.exe. Boot the
system from the floppy, run fdisk, delete the existing HDD partition(s) and
create (a) new one(s). Format the new partition. You want to make sure
EVERYTHING is gone? This is the best way.

Then simply re-boot from the CD. Let the Win2K setup reformat the partition
again in NTFS (as opposed to FAT32), and install away.

Yup - that's what I did. Squeaky clean results.