Service Pack 1 setup error

G

I have an interesting problem with Windows XP
First i was attempting to update to service pack 1, and it is saying that ftp.exe is open or in use
by another application, so the update will not continue unless the process is closed (but i don't
have it running by looking at the processes.....) -- Tried with Service Pack 1 and 1a

In addition, i currently cannot get into various items such as Disk Defragmenter, Services, etc.....
It says "You do not have the appropriate permissions to access this item....."

It previous had blaster and randex viruses, but i cleared both of them in safe mode -- any help
would be greatly appreciated !! Steve in Seattle

G

In getting rid of these viruses in safe mode to you fix you registry? If not goto start>run>(TYPE) regedit then under the drop down menus click on edit then find. In the field to find what type in the viruses names and see if they are writtien into your registry. If so you'll need to modify the reg key to. Also on each main directory of each key right click and click on permissions to be sure all boxes are checked for full control. Good luck...

Ask a Question