Servers keep rebooting

BRZRaiderfan

I have many servers running windows 2000 server in my company,

all of them are rebooting once in a while and the only thing I got

from event viewer is:
"The previous system shutdown at Time on Date was unexpected. "

I went to microsoft.com and found this:

but according to this article the problem has been solved in

SP4.... which I have in every server.

The servers don't have the same hardware, the only thing in common

is the OS. I think it's not a power issue since it only happens

with those servers, the other machines (some identical servers

running linux for instance) do not reboot.

As I said, every server has rebooted and has this event log I

mentioned in their event viewer, but my primary domain controller

reboots quite often, at least 2 or 3 times a day, the other 2

domain controlers also have more reboots than the others.

Have any of you guys ever experienced this?

Thanks for any help.

Dave Patrick

To be able to see the blue screen stop message; Control
Panel|System|Advanced|Startup and Recovery, I usually like to uncheck
"Automatically reboot" this way you get a chance to read the stop error.

Windows 2000 Stop Messages
http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/win2000/win2ksrv/reskit/sopch16.asp

Bug Check Codes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/bcintro_3dkj.asp

If no BSOD's occur (Event ID: 1001 Source: Save Dump), then it may be a
power problem. I would look at a possible faulty (or undersized) pc power
supply, UPS, bad battery, or the circuit feeding the outlet that the pc is
plugged into.

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| I have many servers running windows 2000 server in my company,
|
| all of them are rebooting once in a while and the only thing I got
|
| from event viewer is:
| "The previous system shutdown at Time on Date was unexpected. "
|
| I went to microsoft.com and found this:
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=326564
|
| but according to this article the problem has been solved in
|
| SP4.... which I have in every server.
|
| The servers don't have the same hardware, the only thing in common
|
| is the OS. I think it's not a power issue since it only happens
|
| with those servers, the other machines (some identical servers
|
| running linux for instance) do not reboot.
|
| As I said, every server has rebooted and has this event log I
|
| mentioned in their event viewer, but my primary domain controller
|
| reboots quite often, at least 2 or 3 times a day, the other 2
|
| domain controlers also have more reboots than the others.
|
| Have any of you guys ever experienced this?
|
| Thanks for any help.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Are these servers connected to a UPS that will initiate a graceful shutdown
in the event of power loss?

BRZRaiderfan

Guys, thanks a lot, but the problem was related to this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824226
"This problem may occur if you have installed Windows 2000 Service
Pack 4."

When you have Win2K SP4 installed on your DC's and suddenly the server
restarts you should check your "Directory service" log. When you find
two warning messages id 1173 a few minutes before your server posts
the "Previous shutdown was unexpected" message in your system log, it
means that one of your clients requested information from AD which
crashed the Lsass process that in turn crashed your machine. And yeah,
I've got those messages 5 minutes before every single reboot.

Great, huh? then the hotfix to...huh.."fix" this problem causes memory
leak so yes, you'll need a fix for the hotfix.

Namely *KB824226* to stop the reboots and 1173s, and *KB828297* to
stop the memory leaking.

MS amazes me...

Thanks again!
Ismael