Server upgrade

Tony

Hello,

We are planning on replacing our current w2k SP4 server due to hardware
limitations. The new server will have the same name as the server being
replaced and will be a part of the same existing domain. Currently,
printers are installed and shared on this server. We want to keep the share
names the same for all printers since we do not wish to go round and remap
all clients to the shared printers. Can this be done and how? Your help is
greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

printmig.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9-44da-b2c9-ffdbc46b0b17&DisplayLang=enBackup the W2k machine. Install the new machine with an alternate name (Iusually add New to the current machine name). Restore to the new machine,make sure all the printers migrated successfully. Off hours bring the oldmachine down (unpublish the printers first if you utilize thisfunctionality.), delete the domain machine account, rename the new machine.Publish the printers. Existing client connections are retained.use setprinter.exe from the Windows resource kit to publish and unpublishresource kit.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...7ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=enThis command will publish all the printers on \\servername.setprinter \\servername 7 dwAction="publish"unpublishsetprinter \\servername 7 dwAction="unpublish"snagsseparator pages in non existent directories on the new machineNT4 kernel mode drivers on your Win2k machine (there is a policy on Server2003 to set)Vendor drivers that contain a cab (look in\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3). The only vendor I know who does this isXerox. Just have to install the driver before restoring.Vendor port monitors need to be installed before the store.--Alan MorrisWindows Printing TeamSearch the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowtoThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in messageHello,>> We are planning on replacing our current w2k SP4 server due to hardwarelimitations. The new server will have the same name as the server beingreplaced and will be a part of the same existing domain. Currently,printers are installed and shared on this server. We want to keep the sharenames the same for all printers since we do not wish to go round and remapall clients to the shared printers. Can this be done and how? Your help isgreatly appreciated and thank you in advance.>